Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When to apply bagged manure to perennial beds?

Posted by linnea56 z5 IL (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 5, 14 at 15:09

It's commercial bagged stuff from Menard's. I bought this last summer but never got around to applying it. Well, it is aged now!

After I remove matted leaves and sticks, is that a good time? Or will it burn new shoots? The only things I have coming up so far are daffodils, tulips, and crocus. I have a lot of true lilies (not emerged yet) and I know they are supposed to be heavy feeders.

What about rhubarb? I hope to see plants I put in last summer (if they survived), plus plant a couple more barerroot in the same area.
Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When to apply bagged manure to perennial beds?

what a sh*tty job.. lol..

they are 'nuring the fields right now.. out here in farm country ...

they want the spring rains.. to wash it into the soil ..

and they want to do it.. before we all open our windows.. and hope to die.. lol.. you wont have that problem ...

if i recall.. the stuff is barely 1-1-1 .... but good black gold.. humus/compost ....

i dont really think there is any bad time...

ken

o

The bagged stuff is not going to hurt your plants but its to late for it to be any good for the bulbs. Most use a liquid feed for those or nothing at all. Can't answer the rhubarb question as I don't grow food plants.

o

I bet you could dump the whole bag around the rhubarb and it would only just start to feel happy. Rhubarb loves a rich soil.
I would avoid getting it on the crowns of your plants, but it's for the same reasons I wouldn't just dump dirt on the crowns. Putting it around the plants now is the perfect time, I'm sure they'll like it... And the worms too!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here