Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
echinaceamaniac

Favorite Combinations 2013

echinaceamaniac
10 years ago

I'm loving Heucherella 'Sweet Tea' with 'Burgundy Lace' Japanese Painted Ferns.

Comments (11)

• echinaceamaniac
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow. Those are awesome!

• molie
    10 years ago

Nice combination, echinaceamaniac! Do your 'Sweet Tea' coral bells show more orange (what I find when looking online) or maroon in the garden?

CMK, what is that behind the Tiarella in the last photo? I lost mine due to rising river/salt water in our fall and winter storms. Sad. I really love the way they show in early spring⦠the white sparkles against darker colors.

Christinmk, the yellow in the Emperor tulips picks up the variegation in the iris leaves. I saw something very similar to your combo around trees while walking down Lexington Avenue in NYC.

Molie

• echinaceamaniac
    Original Author
    10 years ago

'Sweet Tea' is the color of ice tea. The base of the leaf is kind of a tea color like if you held the glass up to light. The veins are a darker burgundy color. I love it!

Those variegated Irises are awesome. I have some, but mine are green/white with no yellow. What is the variety called?

• funnthsun z7A - Southern VA
    10 years ago

Well, I certainly can't contend with any of the above! But, I have a few that are near and dear to me! Just snapped these this morning with an almost dead camara battery, so please forgive the not-so-professional pics.

This one is Lavender Anouk with a shrub juniper (the variety escapes me right now). I'm loving the color combo, this one is fairly newly planted, so looking forward to the combo growing in a bit more this year.

10 years ago

Close-up

10 years ago

I'm interested to see what these two look like together this year. This is a red Monarda (forgive me, not home with my tags right now) along with Silver Anouk. Waiting for the Monarda to bloom to finish out the combo!

10 years ago

I'm really liking this combo, although the pics totally does not do it justice. This is a scallywag holly beside a buckeye belle peony. The color of the peony picks up the stem color in the holly--gorgeous! By the way, the peony color is very, very dark (darker even than this pic), which is what attracted me to it.

10 years ago

And last, but not least, a little humor for you guys. This combo is from an area that is currently under construction in my yard. It has been trampled and the ground all dug up, completely abused area. If any of you have Bloody Sorrel, you know, there is no beating it down! After all the abuse, in our downtime of work in this area, it popped back up, along with a native friend! Nothing else but dirt surrounding these two, so I thought it was quite humorous that these guys decided to make their own combo :) in a wasteland.

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    10 years ago

Thanks much!

-Molie, I think that is 'Marmalade' Heuchera behind the Tiarella- it's the longest lived one I've tried, along with Palace Purple. I planted the tulips/muscari/iris combo because I love blues, whites, and yellows together. Had no idea the base of the tulip would match the iris so well though!

-Ech, I lost the tag to those Iris years ago, but I'm fairly sure they are I. pallida 'Variegata'. I'm not sure about the difference between the white vs. yellow variegation either. Half the pics online of the variegated pallida show more white-ish while the others are more yellow. I seem to recall mine start out more yellow and then turn creamy toward summer.

-fun, I LOVE that lavender/golden conifer combo. I'm a bit envious that you can grow Spanish lavender perennially. It is so much more attractive than the L. angustifolia types imo...
    CMK

• marquest
    10 years ago

funnthsun, I like that story. I purchased a BS last year because I am putting together a dead zone garden. Everything I put in that bed dies. I have put homemade compost, lots of Fall leaves for 2 years but everything seemed to die.

It is next to the driveway and I think it is the salt that is being shoveled into that bed. But what comes back is old Hosta Lancifolia and the blood sorrel. I am Okay with that at least something is coming up with color. LOL

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting