Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Turning Hollow Tree Stumps into Planters

Posted by plantingman 6b (SC KS climate) (samnsarah620@yahoo.com) on
Tue, Apr 17, 12 at 15:52

I have two hollow tree stumps in my back yard. They are both located in full sun. Is it alright to turn these into planters for annual or perennial flowers? A friend of mine thought they might just become a harbor for termites or carpenter ants. Both stumps are more than 20 feet from the house. I was considering planting a combination of Gold Nugget Coreopsis, Purity Coneflowers, and Red Sun Blanket Flowers in them. I know the stumps wouldn't be a permanent planter, since they would eventually decay. But is it even a good idea to even use them as planters or not?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Turning Hollow Tree Stumps into Planters

you are the lord of your domain.. who cares what the knaves think ...

added water.. will make the stumps rot faster...

you might want to drill some holes near the bottom for drainage .. if the stump still holds water..

otherwise .. ka-nock yourself out.. sounds like a good idea to me..

post pix when they are in their prime..

ken

o

Yes stumps are attractive to termites, but there's not much you can do about that. The way I figure, better the termites have something to eat out there than be attracted to my house.

Last year I watched a Pileated woodpecker chip away at one of my rotting stumps in the back garden and feast on the termites for a good 10 minutes.

As for planting into the stump, I have no idea if plants will grow well under such conditions. Gardening is sometimes an experiment and that sounds like a good one!

o

You're right, ken. Who cares what the knaves think? Both stumps drain very fast. I am going to try it. Like terrene said, it would be a good experiment. I may plant some annuals to see if they will grow before I invest in perennials. And, yes, I will post photos.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here