o
Do I must plant these outdoors soon?

Posted by jujujojo 7-8 (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 6, 13 at 15:58

photo 1_zps4ba137af.jpg

photo 0_zps8cf7319f.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do I must plant these outdoors soon?

Very pretty right where they are!

o

i would enjoy them.. indoors .. as long as possible..

they were forced.. perhaps for easter.. and if you threw them outdoors.. i would predict flowers would fade fast.. and you would have an ugly bush.. until it re-flowered.. much weaker..

i would let it go thru its bloom cycle.. and then.. after you have pinched off all the old flowers.. then i would start to harden it off to outdoor light ...

in fall i would plant it.. IF it is zone appropriate ...

the dog seems to be enjoying them ...

ken

o

In your zone, I would have no issues with these getting planted outdoors now. The large pink flowers are African daisies, Osteospermums. They can overwinter frequently in mild climates and can take a touch of frost. An early bloom cycle is not unusual and they should bloom repeatedly through summer and into the fall.

The smaller flowers are mums - they have indeed been forced into bloom (usually bloom late summer/fall). Also quite hardy, they can be planted out now if you wish. Once the flowers fade, they should be cut back. They will not rebloom this year.

The plants that are all leaf at this time are nasturtiums. These are definitely outdoor plants and again, a light frost tolerant annual. If left indoors they will get leggy and fail to bloom.

FWIW, all of these plants are for sale now in my area for planting out of doors.

o

not a care in the world.. for hardening off to the sun.. in the PNW ????

especially with a greenhouse grown plant that has been indoors??

just plant them out there and forget about them????

ken

o

Nope, not a care in the world, Ken :-) If these were coleus or impatiens, I might have a second thought but these are all cold tolerant plants, two of which act like or are considered perennials in mild climates.

There is another world out there that is not the tundra of zone 5 and where it is well and truly spring :-)) We've been planting early annuals here since the middle of last month and all manner of perennials are in full bloom. In my area, NOW is the time to plant.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here