Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Trailing perennials to plant wall pockets

Posted by butterclem z6 W.PA (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 16, 07 at 16:02

Hi,

Now that everyone has helped me narrow down my "steppable" plants in my new garden, I wonder if I could have your input on the plants I will put in a stone wall? The wall is about 3 feet high and 12 feet long; the stones are huge. I don't want yellow flowers. And I don't want anything too rampant to handle, though obviously I can reach every inch of a 3-foot wall, which helps.

Here is a list of things I've looked at. I certainly don't have room for all of these; I figured if people told me the ones they love best in their own walls,I could prioritize. An excellent local perennial nursery is going out of business and selling everything this Saturday (a very sad day). This will help me get ready. Here's the list:

Campanula cochlearifolia
Campanula elatinoides
Campanula portenschlagiana
Campanula poscharskyana
Delasperma kooperi
Delasperma kelaidis
Hens and chicks
Iberis Autumn Beauty
Oregano vulgare "Aureum"
Sedum rupestre Angelina
Sedum spurium fulda glow
Sedum Vera Jameson
Sedum dragons blood
Veronica prostrate goldwell

Pat

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Trailing perennials to plant wall pockets

• Posted by mxk3 z5b/6 MI (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 16, 07 at 16:17

"Biokovo" geranium. Foliage *always* stays tidy (some short geranium get a little ratty IMO as do A LOT of other trailers). Will take sun, shade, moist conditions, dry conditions - I seriously think this plant will grow under just about any condition short of Sarahara-like. Flowers are white with pink veining, quite lovely. Oh, foliage is scented, too, smells like Vernors to my nose. :)

o

I have a dry stacked stone wall (think that's what it's called). Anyway, a lot of unusual things have volunteered in the pockets and crevices. Nepata, a daylily, and an iris. All three do well and look good.

An episode of Martha Stewart showed her planting sedum in her wall. I tried that with no success. The hen and chicks was so shallow rooted it just kept falling. The dragons blood didnt survive the winter.

A friend had the most spectacular wall planted in alyssum basket of gold. It literally stopped traffic when in bloom. The downside was when it was not in bloom.

o

Cerastium tomentosum, "Snow in summer". Silver grey tiny leaves, mat like at the base but sending out tendrils or runners. Supposed to have tiny white flowers, though I have never seen mine bloom.

o

• Posted by mxk3 z5b/6 MI (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 17, 07 at 11:52

Thought of another one - ornamental strawberries (fragaria ?spellling?). Foliage is just lovely. I have the non-running types in my garden and I adore them, another one that *always* looks good. Tiny flowers appear alongside tiny berries, pretty effect. Does great in full sun to part shade, but not too dry.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here