Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Using Loop Hoe

Posted by mary_max (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 11, 14 at 16:18

Will a loop hoe work to remove seedlings of Johnny Jump Ups, larkspur, small weeds, small plants like coreopsis, and fever few, black eyed susans, and yellow coneflowers etc that are about an inch or two tall. Will this do the trick or do I have to pull each one. It will be easy work with the hoe if the other way must be done I have hours of work. But... I want it done right. Please let me know. . Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Using Loop Hoe

Absolutely - I LOVE my hoes although my eyes and co-ordination are a bit dodgy with a long-handled job. I keep mine sharp so one concentration fail between the leeks..........disaster. However, I have a little onion hoe, a neat handtool which slices through those annoying weeds. For sure, you might have to have another go-round in a couple of weeks but you are right, a good hoe makes short work of hundreds of annoying plants in hard to reach places. A circle or hoop hoe is a bit more controlled than a draw hoe (in my hands, a dutch hoe is a lethal weapon) but a hoe or a daisy grubber will be practically welded to my hand between now and October.

o

I use my hoe for that very purpose. Some weeds may need pulled though. I just survey the ground as I walk holding the hoe. When I see new growth I give it a shuffle and leave the green business where it lands. It is small and dries out quickly. It will be easier with time because the soil will still be loose from last time. If a weed has matured and has seed head I don't just leave on the ground, of course. Hope that made sense.

o

My loop hoe is one of my favorite tools. Makes very short work of large areas of weeds.

o

do you guys ever sharpen a hoe.. to make it easier???

the whole point of any hoe.. is to expose the roots.. long enough that the small plants dries and dies... before it can reroot... i dont understand.. how what plant it is.. could make a difference... putting aside plants with underground runners ...

go for it...

ken

o

Thanks to everyone and I was so happy to read your comments . YIPEE!! That tools is so cool! Thanks again.

o

sharpen it - you bet. It is basically a knife....on a stick.

o

An old farmer friend of mine told me a long time ago: "There is a crucial time when weeds are about an inch or two tall, and the day is dry. Lightly hoeing the ground and undercutting the roots will kill them back for the next few months." One time is all that's needed. But timing is critical.

o

Another plus - muddling dry soil about with a hoe creates a 'dust mulch' which acts as any mulch, preserving ground water and making removal of surface weeds a doddle.

o

deleted - dbl post

This post was edited by campanula on Wed, Apr 16, 14 at 16:10

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here