Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Plant ID please

Posted by mxk3 z5b/6 MI (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 15, 12 at 16:31

No clue what this is or if I'm the one who planted it...

Photobucket
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Plant ID please

Definitely a weed that spreads by seed...easy to pull out. I cannot remember the name, but I am positive it's a weed.

o

The invasive mustard. I get the weed from the no till field behind our house. Always pulling it out.

Here is a link that might be useful: Garlic mustard

o

Alliaria petiolata. EXTREMELY invasive. It is a biennial, makes abundant seeds, that will persist in the seed bank, and the roots are also allelopathic.

Has the unusual ability to go to seed after the flowers have already been pulled. Should be bagged or hot composted. I am drying some out on the blacktop of my driveway at the moment.

It can be controlled by Roundup, repeated mowing or weed-whacking, and pulling. Best to eradicate during vegetative phase.

o

yep, we call it 'Jack in the Hedge' in the UK - pull it.

o

Campanula, do you know the story behind the name?

o

It's an attractive weed. I wish my weeds looked that good. They are ugly and called Poke Weed. LOL.

o

Awww, I think poke is much more attractive than garlic mustard, and it's a native. Definitely harder to pull though.

o

Mike...get those weeds outta there! BEFORE they flower and scatter seeds everywhere. These plants are truly harmful to the health of the soil system and also have allelopathic properties.

o

You can eat it - sort of peppery watercress type flavour. Campanula - I've always know it as Jack BY the hedge. I'm in SW UK do you think it's a regional variation?

Larval food plant of Orange Tip Butterfly in its natural habitat.

o

• Posted by mxk3 z5b/6 MI (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 18, 12 at 22:07

Who, me? My name isn't Mike...and I'm a girl (well, woman...) LOL!

I pulled it yesterday. Came out easily after all the rain we had.

o

Awesome! Keep an eye out for more sprouts.

...Which reminds me of a funny garlic mustard goof of mine... how I planted hollyhock seeds one year, forgot, and pulled them all out later thinking they were garlic mustard. Learned to use my nose...

o

Might be, Flora - as you know, 'jack' has so many meanings in english - the pertinent bit is 'hedge' I guess because it is such a classic marginal/hedgerow plant. We do eat it quite often, along with hairy bittercress and chickweed - s'okay, a bit peppery but not really that garlicky.

o

This species has really taken over here, growing everywhere in semi-wooded conditions. I have been pulling a lot of it in my yard the past few weeks. It does actually work well in the kitchen. I made a very nice horseradish like condiment from the roots of this species a few years back, just cleaning them, grinding in the food processor, and mixing with vinegar and salt. The roots didn't have the garlic flavor, just horseradish. I mostly feed it to my poultry.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here