Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mxk3

Plant ID please

mxk3 z5b_MI
12 years ago

No clue what this is or if I'm the one who planted it...

{{gwi:209377}}

{{gwi:209379}}

Comments (13)

• MollyDog
    12 years ago

Definitely a weed that spreads by seed...easy to pull out. I cannot remember the name, but I am positive it's a weed.

• MollyDog
    12 years ago

The invasive mustard. I get the weed from the no till field behind our house. Always pulling it out.

Here is a link that might be useful: Garlic mustard

• terrene
    12 years ago

Alliaria petiolata. EXTREMELY invasive. It is a biennial, makes abundant seeds, that will persist in the seed bank, and the roots are also allelopathic.

Has the unusual ability to go to seed after the flowers have already been pulled. Should be bagged or hot composted. I am drying some out on the blacktop of my driveway at the moment.

It can be controlled by Roundup, repeated mowing or weed-whacking, and pulling. Best to eradicate during vegetative phase.

• User
    12 years ago

yep, we call it 'Jack in the Hedge' in the UK - pull it.

• MollyDog
    12 years ago

Campanula, do you know the story behind the name?

• echinaceamaniac
    12 years ago

It's an attractive weed. I wish my weeds looked that good. They are ugly and called Poke Weed. LOL.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    12 years ago

Awww, I think poke is much more attractive than garlic mustard, and it's a native. Definitely harder to pull though.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    12 years ago

Mike...get those weeds outta there! BEFORE they flower and scatter seeds everywhere. These plants are truly harmful to the health of the soil system and also have allelopathic properties.

• flora_uk
    12 years ago

You can eat it - sort of peppery watercress type flavour. Campanula - I've always know it as Jack BY the hedge. I'm in SW UK do you think it's a regional variation?

Larval food plant of Orange Tip Butterfly in its natural habitat.

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Who, me? My name isn't Mike...and I'm a girl (well, woman...) LOL!

I pulled it yesterday. Came out easily after all the rain we had.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    12 years ago

Awesome! Keep an eye out for more sprouts.

...Which reminds me of a funny garlic mustard goof of mine... how I planted hollyhock seeds one year, forgot, and pulled them all out later thinking they were garlic mustard. Learned to use my nose...

• User
    12 years ago

Might be, Flora - as you know, 'jack' has so many meanings in english - the pertinent bit is 'hedge' I guess because it is such a classic marginal/hedgerow plant. We do eat it quite often, along with hairy bittercress and chickweed - s'okay, a bit peppery but not really that garlicky.

• denninmi
    12 years ago

This species has really taken over here, growing everywhere in semi-wooded conditions. I have been pulling a lot of it in my yard the past few weeks. It does actually work well in the kitchen. I made a very nice horseradish like condiment from the roots of this species a few years back, just cleaning them, grinding in the food processor, and mixing with vinegar and salt. The roots didn't have the garlic flavor, just horseradish. I mostly feed it to my poultry.