Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mscanthus

Is nepeta invasive?

mscanthus
13 years ago

I am considering planting Nepeta 'Walkers Low' behind KnockOut roses and Cityline hydrangea. Is this plant too invasive for this setting?

Comments (16)

• linrose
    13 years ago

In my experience it is not invasive. The clump slowly gets larger but is easy to control.

• rusty_blackhaw
    13 years ago

This variety is not invasive in my experience growing it in zones 5-6. The clumps gradually enlarge but there are no invasive running roots or reseeding of note. Commonly grown Nepetas are not typically considered aggressive perennial border dwellers.

It does sound like your planned usage of "Walker's Low" might hide it behind taller shrubs (it would probably work in between them or in the foreground).

• melaroma
    13 years ago

Depending on the variety you will get some volunteers near the mother plant but Im not sure that i would say that they are invasive. There are some sterile varities that will not seed. I would google them to find out which varieties are sterile and go with that unless you want volunteers.

• aklinda
    13 years ago

I have planted Walkers Low nepeta with several roses, including Knockout. I did plant the nepeta in front of the rose as I anticipate the knockout roses getting larger than the nepeta. They did not spread for me but the oldest one I have - 4 yrs old - will make a mound approx 2ft across and prob 18 inches high. It blooms pretty much continually here in my 7b climate - central New Mexico. I love it and keep adding more to my garden, especially with roses.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    13 years ago

It doesn't fit the accepted definition of invasive - a non-native (exotic) plant that poses an economic or ecological threat. But it is a member of the mint family (Lamiaceae) and does spread although very manageably so. I would not even consider it an overly aggressive plant in this regard. And 'Walker's Low' is not a reseeding variety anyway. It was also named the Perennial Plant Association plant of the year for 2007, which means it is a very garden-worthy plant and with no overwhelmingly bad habits :-)

The "low" part of the name is a bit misleading, as this is not a low growing plant - it can reach 24-36" (the cultivar name is for the garden in Ireland - Walker's Low - where the plant was first discovered).

One thought that comes to mind is that nepeta is considered a xeric or low water use plant, so I'm not sure how appropriate it may be in a grouping with roses and hydrangeas, both of which appreciate frequent watering.

• echinaceamaniac
    13 years ago

No. It's not invasive at all. It's probably the best plant to put with roses. The color complements roses in many hues. The Nepeta is easily propagated by simply cutting a sprig and planting directly in the garden. I am planting tons of Nepeta. I put it and Russian Sage around Easy Does It rose and got so many compliments last year. I think you will love it!

• kimcoco
    13 years ago

If I remember correctly I had "walkers low" - and as Gardengal mentioned the name is misleading as they are rather tall - I had another variety as well though I don't recall the name offhand - they were nice, but not as "tidy" as I wanted them to be.

I eventually replaced with Geraniums, Bloody Cranesbill as an underplanting to my rose bush.

• Deborah lippitt
    7 years ago

I had Walker's Low and my cat always took a nap smack dab in the middle of it. It didn't deter it from blooming or growing but didn't get tall..just spread out.(luckily he would stick to one plant not all!) It also made babies close by. So I had to keep on top of eradicating those...it was a little bit of a problem. They get big..they are at least 3ft across. I had several plants. I was living in zone 5 hi desert with hi PH soil. They grew wonderfully. Give them room. I liked them. I sheared them back hard after blooming and they always came back with more bloom. Just wish my rechargeable shears hadn't died!

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

It spreads quickly to form large clumps where it is happy, but I wouldn't consider it invasive.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    7 years ago

Easy to grow from cuttings.

• Deborah lippitt
    last year

Yes it does form a large clump but in my experience it seeded like crazy!! Zone 5 on northern Nevada/Calif. border high desert also with hi ph. and it thrived!

Had a couple of clumps and was continually pulling up baby Nepetas..Continually!! I hacked it back too..so I got a second bloom. Very hardy and sturdy plant.

I'm with kimcoco though..plant cranesbill. OR make sure your variety is sterile!!

I do have 1 plant now and it is in a pot!!

• Barrheadlass
    last year

I have had it for years and it has never reseeded.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    last year

I have Walker's Low and IME it grows quickly. Quicker than other perennials I've grown. And it expands to a size that can outgrow it's location in my small garden, requiring me to divide it a little more often than I'd like. But....I love it and have divided it and added it to a few areas. It grows well for me, even in my soil that is clay/loam and in a bed with hydrangeas, roses and other plants that get watered regularly. Right now I have it planted with Perovskia, Gaura, grasses and next to an area with roses, hydrangea, hibiscus and asters.

It reseeded on me a very small amount. I've increased my plants by division because volunteers are not easy to find. It doesn't have running roots either. I think it is a great perennial that has a long bloom time, is easy to care for, healthy with no problem with insects IME, and is very adaptable.

And I've not had any cats in the neighborhood rolling in mine, although I did have that happen with a couple of other varieties before I grew this one. Now though, I doubt there are any outdoor cats in my neighborhood.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    last year

Well, Deborah, you must have wonderful growing conditions! And Blackberries? Ugh...you have my sympathies! I had advice from a Landscape Architect in the early stages of planning my garden and I had requested blackberries be part of the plan. He pointed to an area where I could grow them and then said I should sink a curb of thick concrete about 3ft into the ground all around them if I didn't want them to get out of control. Took blackberries right off the list!

I think it would be more help to you, to talk to gardeners in your local area who might have grown Nepeta to see what their experiences are. Plants grow so differently from one area to another and you already seem to be seeing a lot of vigor in other perennials.

• Deborah lippitt
    last year

Himalayan blackberries control the western half of Oregon...Good idea..about asking questions..duh!! I usually do that. Thanks for reminding me..