Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paulsiu

casa blanca lilies how are they?

paulsiu
11 years ago

Saw these at my local bird seed place. They look like giant bulbs. I was wondering if these are easy to grow. I was thinking of adding them to a large pot and sticking them on the patio, which would get partial sun.

Has anyone grown these, I have not grown any lilies before except for day lilies.

Paul

Comments (13)

• mori1
    11 years ago

Paul,

They very easy to grow but they prefer to be grown in the ground versus pot. They like full sun and well drain soil.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    11 years ago

True lilies - like the Casa Blancas - are very easy to grow. And they do well in a container although can get a bit top heavy if the container is small. If you opt for a container rather than in the ground, use a good quality potting soil, a slow release fertilizer and a planting depth of at least 4 inches (6" is better). Full sun and don't let the soil dry out but avoid overwatering.

In the ground they just need very good drainage and a reasonably fertile soil. They are also far more likely to naturalize if planted inground.

ps. daylilies, despite that name, are not true lilies, which are bulbs. Daylilies are fleshy rooted perennials.

• buyorsell888
    11 years ago

Casas smell divine when in bloom. They'll most likely need staking too.

• northerngirl_mi
    11 years ago

I only grow them in the ground - they form giant beautiful white flowers with amazing fragrance... and get better/bigger the second year. Easy to grow, as long as they have decent drainage over the winter. Eventually, after a number of years they, like other oriental lilies, seem to disappear for me, but they are well worth the investment.

The blooms will probably last about 3 - 4 weeks max, based on conditions.

I would think they might fare better over the winter in z5 if planted in the ground... If you do a pot, make it a big one, preferably one that has some weight (for instance, clay or ceramic rather than plastic, or put some rocks in the bottom) as they will get tall and top-heavy.

Beth
    Z5 northern michigan

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

Saw these at my local bird seed place.

===>>> another prime source.. lol ...

stick them in the ground.. they should be there in a decade or two ...

plant at proper depth ... which i dont recall .. unless its the typical 3 times the bulb size ...

they multiple by bulb.. underground.. so do not let them go to seed.. once the flowers are spent ... snip off any pods ...

ken

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

and the only other thing

actually.. 2 ...

you leave the green there to feed the bulb to store energy for next year .... and to perhaps split itself ... but remove seed

but by late august.. or fall .. when it browns.. you can trim it down.. but if you do.. mark the spot ... so you dont get some bright idea to fit some nice cheap late mums.. right on top of them.. and slice the bulbs with the shovel.. been there.. done that too many times ...

in fact.. just leave the ugly brown stalk there all winter.. so you wont forget .. lol

ken

• jemboysch
    11 years ago

I've never had to stake mine. I divide bulbs every couple of years and share with friends who love the fragrance. I've had mine at least 15 years now, started with 3, probably divided to 20 or more.

• mori1
    11 years ago

I've never had to stake mine either but I hate having to dig them up. They bury themselves so deeply.

• hostaholic2 z 4, MN
    11 years ago

I've never had to stake mine either. Casa Blanca is the only oriental that not only returns for me but actually multiplies. I've had it for 15 years and have divided 3 times.

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    11 years ago

Wow, you guys don't have to stake? I have to stake even shorter cultivars of Oriental lilies. Anyway, Casa Blanca is gorgeous and oh so fragrant (like all Oriental lilies) - just make sure to strategically arrange behind/between other plants which will hide the foliage from view after flowering, because lilies are not very attractive of foliage...

• Freda
    11 years ago

I never have to stake mine either and some of them get up to 4 ft tall for me. I don't really know how tall they are suppose to grow. They are beautiful and well worth growing.

• paulsiu
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Casa blanca grows up to 4 feet, but the stem and bulb is rather massive compare to the other lily bulb. For example, I planted two different bulbs in the pot. The yellow bulb is size of a golf ball, the Casa Blanca is size of an onion. The stem is pretty thick, too.

I am thinking that it dosn't need stalking in the sun, but may get floppy in shady areas.

Paul

• hostaholic2 z 4, MN
    11 years ago

It's actually the only oriental I still grow, most of them are very short lived here and I simply don't bother with them. I've found other types that give me more bang for my buck. They may get taller in other areas but for me Casa Blanca gets to about 4 ft. and no I don't stake it and I get a lot of wind. maybe the wind strengthens the stem enough to not require staking.