Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What to expect from a small Buddleia the first year

Posted by aachenelf z5 Mpls, MN (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 24, 14 at 17:20

My next Buddleia is 'Pink Charming'. It should arrive tomorrow. I know it's going to be a small plant because the pot size is listed as 2 1/2 inches or something similar. Eventually it should grow large, but what can I expect this first season growth-wise? I want to add some filler plants around it this first season just so I'm not looking at a lot of bare ground.

Kevin

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What to expect from a small Buddleia the first year

plant annuals.. that you can rip out.. if this explodes ... or that will at least be gone next year ....

i have never had luck wintering B over in my z5 MI ... at two different houses.. two different soils ... high TLC.. abject neglect ... they just didnt like me ...

do you have the micro climate you need for these???

i would not plant perennials ...

ken

o

Yes, I was thinking annuals or maybe some easy perennial that grows fast and doesn't mind being moved again. There are lots of things I can divide.

As to microclimate - my first one planted last year survived the winter. I must have something going for me.

Kevin

o

one of my usual fallback is:

'expect nothing .... and be pleasantly surprised when the plant exceeds such' ... lol

when you grow conifers.. and there is only usually one spring growth spurt.. which can be severely affected by last years planting/transplanting ... you really learn patience on 'expectations' ...

that said.. a B can and should have rather explosive growth... regardless ...

ken

o

I was wrong. The plant arrived today and it's the quart size. Maybe I can expect something significant this season.

Kevin

o

I have grown butterfly bushes from seed for several years. If it is a quart sized plant you can expect it to fill a gallon sized pot by fall and maybe even a few blooms. Some of those small bushes have very long blossoms. I had one with blossoms 11+ inches long. Kept it and gave 7+ Inch and smaller bloom ones away. Planted it in a bed last fall. Waiting to see this year if it continues to have those long blossoms.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here