Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
diggerdee

bulk groundcover purchase

Does anyone know of a reputable mail-order nursery that sells groundcovers in bulk? I need a LOT of sedum katschaticum and can't see paying $5 or more per plant. Bluestone used to have a deal where you could buy a flat of a groundcover, but they no longer offer that.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Dee

Comments (16)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

do you have some already???

fill a flat with media.. and root a couple billion yourself???

seriously.. i cant believe you would pay money for this.. lol ... unless i am missing something with the latin ...

i could fill your trunk for you.. but MI is a long drive ...

ken

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    Original Author
    10 years ago

No way I could start enough for what I need, not unless I'm willing to wait ten years to fill out a slope! Trust me, I stick every little stem that breaks off into the ground, but I need lots more. I've been patient for over four years, waiting for it to fill in, spread, and for the new stems to take root, and now I just want it done!

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    10 years ago

What the heck is a sedum katschaticum? Maybe I can get you a bunch of the infamous invasive yellow sedum, but something I can't figure out what it is from a quick web search isn't likely to be easy to find.

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hmm, maybe I'm spelling it wrong, but a google search should turn up lots of stuff.

Oops, looks like I forgot the "m"....

Dee

Here is a link that might be useful: sedum kaMtschaticum

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    10 years ago

Ahh, much better.

I'm back in the middle of researching plants for a 100 ft long, double English style border from the 1930's. It does strange things to my brain.

10 years ago

see linked pdf ... i added PLUG TRAYS to your plant name.. in google ....

you might also check to see if there are named varieties. or use the simplified YELLOW SEDUM ...

all you have to lose is a phone call.. perhaps a local nursery can order them in wholesale for you

it cracks me up.. that they sell cuttings by the pound.. that ought to tell you something ....

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• elliesfun
    10 years ago

I have lots of different sedum groundcovers. When it gets light enough to go outside to check on how much of that kind I have left....I will let you know. I am having a big plant sale in May but would be willing to trade plants for this kind. LMK

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you farmergirl for the kind offer, but I really need a LOT. I am trying to cover a small slope where my yard meets the street, about 100 feet long by about 6 feet high, and I'm itching to just get it done.

Ken, I was thinking about what you said about not believing I will pay for this, but at least here in my yard, this particular sedum does not spread ALL that fast. It's kind of a clumper. After several years the clumps/plants have really not spread all that much. I do wish it would spread a lot faster, but that's not the case here. Thanks for that link. They don't sell what I need, but it did give me the idea to do a quick search with "plugs" in the search box, and I found a few places. Just need to check them out on Garden Watchdog.

Dee

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    10 years ago

Simply succulents has it and good feedback on GWD.

10 years ago

this particular sedum does not spread ALL that fast. It's kind of a clumper. After several years the clumps/plants have really not spread all that much.

==>> yeah.. sure.. and then a decade later.. you wonder.. what the heck was i thinking.. lol ...

you are welcome ...

ken

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Nope, sorry Ken, don't think so. Some of it has been there 7 or 8 years and hasn't moved more than a few inches. It's doing well and looks great, but it's just not spreading. Unless it's going to suddenly take over the world in the next two years, I think it's about done all its going to do. (Maybe you are thinking of a different sedum??)

I think 7 years is more than enough time to let it spread. Now I want to get serious about this slope and get it done, so I'll risk the world takeover. :)

Thanks nhbabs, I'll check them out.

Dee

• aprilalliums (MA zone 6b)
    10 years ago

Hello Dee,

I would order from Classy Groundcovers. They have wide selection of plants you buy in bulk (1 pack is 24 plants) to choose from, and they have good reviews from Dave's Garden. They also have sedum kamtschaticum and other sedum varieties if you're interested. I've ordered hostas from them and was very satisfied with what I received.

Hope this is useful!

April

Here is a link that might be useful: Classy Groundcovers Sedum Kamtschaticum

This post was edited by AprilAlliums on Mon, Apr 8, 13 at 22:44

• hostaholic2 z 4, MN
    10 years ago

After you make the trip to Ken's house keep heading west to MN and I'll fill up the back seat.Three years ago I took small pieces and moved it to a raised bed where I needed a tough edging plant that could survive zone 4 winters in a raised bed. I spaced them at least a foot apart along the edge of the bed. By last summer I was giving it a haircut to keep it from rooting further into the interior of the bed and the edging is completely filled in.

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Got seriously sidetracked from my sedum project, but now I'm back at it! And now I need even more as I've decided to try it in a (large) spot with hot, evening, blasting sun where all else has failed.

I wanted to thank you, April, for your suggestion. I got all excited but then realized the only sedum K. they sell is West-whatever Gold, which is not the one I want. (They do have the John Creech that I absolutely adore but can't seem to get to grow in my yard....) Oh well.

Not having much luck finding a place that sells these in bulk. I guess I will keep looking - perhaps some of the green roof companies will yield something.

I'm really thinking some of youse guys are thinking of a different sedum. :) This is not at all aggressive - at least not in the spot I have it planted it - hence my search for such large quantities!

Dee

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    10 years ago

Hey Dee, have you thought of mixing groundcover sedums to form a bit of a patchwork on your slope? Does your slope face up where you'll see it head on? There is a garden near me that did about the same size slope as yours and they massed a handful of different kinds and it looked really interesting. Just a thought if you can't find a lot of the one you want.

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thyme, I actually have thought of that. Some of the websites I've looked at offer mixes, and the photos of roofs and slopes are pretty interesting. And I do love sooo many different kinds of sedum!

But since I've started with the K and have a nice little swath of it started, I think I'd like to keep it all the same. I may have to go to the mix, if that's really the cheapest option, which of course is more work since I'd have to dig up my K and mix the other stuff in.

I've got an email in to a Canadian nursery. We'll see!

Dee

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm