Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Liriope

Posted by MFIX Buf, NY z6 (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 14, 14 at 17:26

Hey all,

Just planted 3 liriope muscari last fall along a pathway and the rabbits or deer gave them a good clipping. My original purchase tag said that these were evergreen, so I am just wondering if they will regrow normally after their haircuts when they start to come out of dormancy in the next few weeks. Any thoughts or further care tips? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Liriope

Anyone who has ever tried to get rid of it knows its impossible to kill, even with heavy doses roundup. You can cut it all the way down to the nub & it still comes back. People often mow it low in spring.

o

I trim mine down, leaving an inch or so, when the leaves start looking ugly! The new growth will appear from the center as soon as the temps warm a bit. I'm in SC where the temps have been in the 70's for about two weeks now, and mine are just starting to show the new growth. They will come back!

o

Oh, you bet they'll come back. I've grown a variegated version of liriope for 6 years or so that's proven durable in sun and shade, but doesn't run (in my experience). The solid variety you have grows fiercly (maybe too fiercly) so it'll be roaring back in the very near future.

Cheers,
Don B.

o

• Posted by mxk3 z5b/6 MI (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 15, 14 at 8:25

They'll be fine.

o

• Posted by mxk3 z5b/6 MI (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 15, 14 at 8:26

They'll be fine.

o

Thanks guys. Yes mine are variegated (and evergreen?) Temps this week ahead look good for some signs of life to happen. Cant wait to get a full season of these guys. Also hit up all around all my beds with liquid fence yesterday, dont want the bunnies to begin their feast again.

o

Still nothing from liriope, are they dead? Thought the warmer temps would bring some growth, but I dont see anything yet. Too early still?

o

I went to a lecture years ago on "tending the garden">>
"Liriope looks horrible when your cut it back and it looks horrible when you don't". This is true!!

o

BTW, there are two types of Liriope--L. muscari is a clumper. L. spicata runs, though not agressively and may even establish under maples.

o

spicata not aggressive???

o

Here, muscari is marginally hardy, and can be killed by a real winter. Spicata is a decent, spreading groundcover, but nothing frightening. It's all about the location.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here