Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
haylokitteh

Anemone

HayloKitteh
11 years ago

I don't really know how to take care of these. I bought them because they are oh so cute, unfortunately I didn't think first. :) My mother told me to cut back the blooms that have died off but now there's hardly any blooms at all and if there is, it only last about 2 days. How do I take care of these?

Comments (8)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

let it dry a bit.. before you rot the roots off..

and then plant it in mother earth.. at the proper time .. of which.. i dont know.. because i dont know where you are ...

i think of them.. as one of the spring ephemerals.. very very short blooming season.. though i dont know if they are properly in that category

ken

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    11 years ago

Adding your general location information after your name (you can edit your profile to have it there for every post) will give us more information to help you. For instance where I am in central NH this plant is not hardy and so is treated as an annual or greenhouse plant, but in much of the country it can be planted outside when it is done blooming. As Ken said, it looks too wet right now. I wouldn't water it again until the soil feels dry when you put a finger in knuckle deep. If there is water in a saucer under the plant, empty that out.

• mnwsgal
    11 years ago

I have a few anemone blanda that come back each year so would suggest that you plant it. Like Ken mentioned it appears and blooms for a short period and then disappears until next spring. These grow from a corm so even if the foliage dies back in your pot check to see if there is a corm in the pot which can be planted. If you check the garden centers you will see small packages of anemone blanda corms to be planted.

• HayloKitteh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I live in San Diego, right next to the US/Mexico border. My whole yard is concrete, I have absolutely nowhere to plant anything in the ground. There's a raised part in my backyard that has dirt but there is so much dog feces, trash, rocks. It looks and feels like sand. I'd be afraid everything would die in that soil.

• wieslaw59
    11 years ago

This is not Anemone blanda. This is Anemone coronaria. It is not hardy in zone 7. One of them survived for me for 2 years, leafing out in WINTER!!!

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    11 years ago

You pose some difficult growing conditions - container only gardening in an often hot and dry climate. And with the reflected heat provided by surrounding concrete surfaces!!

Forget the anemones - you can treat them as a cool weather annual but they will not last long. And as is common with many bulbs, each individual plant/bulb will produce a very limited number of flowers.

You should be focusing on plants that will tolerate your hot, dry conditions - succulents and sedums, agapanthus, salvia, phormium, zauschneria, geraniums, various ornamental grasses.Your local nursery/garden center should offer lots of choices.

Anemone coronaria.It is not hardy in zone 7

I think a lot of folks would disagree with that:-)

• wieslaw59
    11 years ago

"I think a lot of folks would disagree with that:-) "

They may disagree as much as they want. It will not help them. They can be lucky in 1 or 2 winters, but that's probably all . At least with no protection.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    11 years ago

Why the heck are you so adamant about everything?? Do you garden worldwide that you are such an authority on what will grow where?

If this bulb is not hardy in zone 7, why do all manner of bulb specialty nurseries advertise it as such, hmmmmm??

Sponsored
Traditional Hardwood Floors LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Your Industry Leading Flooring Refinishers & Installers in Columbus