Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Take a look at my unusual green tipped daffodil mutant

Posted by gottagarden z5 western NY (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 14, 12 at 18:07

I appear to have a very unusual sport of daffodil "ice king". I have a couple of these in the middle of a big clump of Ice King.

Have you ever seen green tipped daffodils? I grow many different kinds but have never seen any like this.

From Garden Misc

ps - cross posted to bulbs forum

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Take a look at my unusual green tipped daffodil mutant

Some flowers do that when there is unusual weather. I've had Clematis do it often for example. It is pretty but don't count on seeing it every year.

o

Wow, looks exotic. Be interesting to see if it looks the same next yr.

o

• Posted by mxk3 z5b/6 MI (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 15, 12 at 9:09

It's beautiful!

o

Don't you just love it when you come upon something like this. If it stabilizes, you've got something really special.

Annette

o

Yes, it's beautiful. I wonder if you could gather and save seed just in case it is a mutant and not a weather fluke? Which makes me ask - what do daffodil seeds look like???

o

That is awesome looking Brenda! I just love it when unusual things like that happen in the garden. Let us know if it does it again next year...

-schoolhouse, I found seeds on one of my daffs and they are hard, round, and a dark blackish color.
CMK

o

Sorry, but that isn't a genetic mutation, its weather damage. You can see the actual "burnt" area on the tip of the outermost petal (the one at the 7:00 position in the photo).

I had a lot of this this year, too, on certain varieties. Happens more to the double/split cup types such as 'Petit Four' or 'Tahiti'.

o

Sure doesn't look like burn to me, those brownish areas appear like fade or die off; see the green even on the curls inside? Well, weather damage or not it sure is interesting. I've never seen anything like it on mine.

I'm going to look for those black seeds later on CMK. Thanks.

o

• Posted by mxk3 z5b/6 MI (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 16, 12 at 12:49

The effects are symmetrical, so I would think that it isn't due to weather damage - ? (perhaps weather effect, but not damage)

o

I have no knowledge of this sort of effect, but I don't think this is really a "symmetrical" effect. It looks like it occurred on the upper tip of the bud before it opened up, and now that the flower is in full bloom, the effect shows up on each outer petal and some of the inner ones.

o

that is a very pretty flower..I have yellow daffodil that look like that one but with out the green tips...I have been getting them every year since I planted them.

o

Here is Clematis 'Daniel Deronda' with a similar weather affected bloom

o

yep, clematis viticella purpurea plena elegans does this very frequently until it settles down, later in the season.

o

I have no idea why photobucket is giving that message. I have not moved nor deleted my photos and it is doing it all over GW. sorry.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here