Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bluebirdpeony

Need suggestions: new bed available

BlueBirdPeony
11 years ago

Hi, garden friends! I have a new bed available with some unique features. I'm hoping you can help me figure out what to plant. All suggestions welcome.

That's a hand-dug water well from 1878. It is non-operational. We haven't decided what to do about it (new house) other than cover it safely.

Those are walking onions left over from the previous owner. I worked them all summer and couldn't keep up with them. New plants rooted every day. And they stink- like onions. And I don't really like onions. Needless to say, I hate them and am digging them all up ASAP.

Bed is full sun pending any shade created by whatever I plant on the East side. It will surround the well on four sides.

I would like something new. Probably flowers as opposed to a bush or shrub. Dont really care much for succulents. We have all perennials- did not plant a single annual last year. I like bright colors and sweet smells but both characteristics are not required. I don't mind some work, but don't want anything that is super high maintenance. Watering and fertilizing and normal weeding are expected. Bonsai-type trimming would be too much for me.

I'm going to post some shots of other areas of my garden in bloom for your review.

Thanks for reading my long post!!

Comments (9)

• BlueBirdPeony
    Original Author
    11 years ago

View one.

• BlueBirdPeony
    Original Author
    11 years ago

View two.

• BlueBirdPeony
    Original Author
    11 years ago

View three

• freki
    11 years ago

I'm a big fan of no-maintenance perennial beds myself. The list of full sun perennials is pretty long, but can I suggest roman chamomile, lemon thyme & bee balm, for the scented foliage. A couple of annuals you might consider, because they are so easy are mignonette, for evening scent, & calendula for the blooms. Both come easily/cheaply from seed, & the calendula is self-seeding in zone 5.

• docmom_gw
    11 years ago

I love your gardens! They are neat but relaxed, lush but not crowded. Each grouping of plants is able to be appreciated.

Good luck digging out those onions. If they're anything like wild nodding onions, any tiny root left behind will come back as a new plant. It may be a several year process.

As far as what to plant, I'd encourage you to include some milkweed to support the Monarch butterflies. Asclepias incarnata is well behaved and a favorite for females to lay eggs on. Even if you don't get butterflies, the blossoms will attract hummingbirds and other beneficial pollinators. In fact, that spot would be a fantastic butterfly/hummingbird spot. You could plant salvias, monarda, penstemon, liatris, delphiniums, columbine, coral bells, and on and on. If you include annuals, the list doubles. Enjoy your project.

Martha

• gardenweed_z6a
    11 years ago

Perennial geranium (not the bright red annual polygonatums that you see everywhere) makes a nice, zero-maintenance filler/edger as does Nepeta (aka, catmint).

Caryopteris/blue mist shrub is low-growing & low-maintenance where I am plus it has a mild fragrance and attracts pollinators.

Chelone (turtlehead) makes an appearance in late season with pink or white blooms (shaped like--you guessed it, a turtle's head) when not much else is blooming + it attracts bees.

Dicentra/bleeding heart is a springtime bloomer that I've always found was high-impact but zero maintenance, either the species (red) or hybrid 'Alba' (white).

If you have a bit of shade, snakeroot (Cimicifuga racemosa) is zero maintenance. Its fluffy plumes of white flowers attract pollinators and is another late-season bloomer.

Another interesting perennial is Trycirtis hirta/toad lily--unique flower shape and one that blooms very late in the season. The bees love it. It prefers shade but I have it growing in part sun.

You might be interested in a book entitled 'Perennials for Every Purpose' by Larry Hodgson since it allows you to narrow in on what you're attempting to accomplish in your garden beds.

• terrene
    11 years ago

Bluebirdpeony, you certainly have some beautiful established beds at your new house! The previous owners were obviously accomplished gardeners, and it's nice that you are interested in gardening too.

How about a butterfly and hummingbird garden in your new bed? Ooops just looked up and Docmom suggested the same thing. So I second that!

Freki, what is a no-maintenance perennial bed? I don't have any of those.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    11 years ago

Freki, what is a no-maintenance perennial bed? I don't have any of those.

LOL!! I was about to say the same. No such thing as a no-maintenance perennial. - low maybe: no-maintenance, no way! The only no-maintenance plants of any type I am aware of are those made of plastic :-)

• BlueBirdPeony
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, everyone! I actually love the idea of a butterfly and hummingbird garden!! Why didn't I think if that? We're in the country surrounded by a 600 acre cornfield. Our birds tend to be what I would call "farm" birds: blue birds, swallows, finches, etc. Oddly, we don't get any cardinals, robins or blue jays.

If we plant it will they come? Even thought we are more farmy and have no surrounding gardens? Thoughts?

Favorite hummingbird or butterfly plants other than those Martha suggested?

Thanks!!

Sponsored
Urban Upkeep LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's High Quality Painting Expert