Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
erasmus_gw

Cape Plumbago hardiness

erasmus_gw
14 years ago

I had several large clumps of this last year and all look completely dead on top, but when I dig in the dirt a little around them there are some white feeder roots that look alive. Has anyone in zone 7 or colder had this come back from the roots? It's the tall plumbago that is a beautiful light true blue.

Thank you,

Linda

Comments (10)

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    14 years ago

I have a friend who has had one come back but the one's I've planted never have. I would wait awhile, it's early.

• erasmus_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, Bumblebeez...I guess I'll wait and see, but I will probably buy some more if I see it.

• v1rt
    14 years ago

I bought plumbago last year at HD. I remember seeing zone 5 from the tag. I don't buy plants that aren't marked zone 5. However, I was searching information about it the other day and found that they are only hardy to zone 6a and up. :( False advertisement. I was really upset.

I was looking for the tag but I couldn't find it anymore. I'll try in my garage one of this days! The link I attached below is my thread about the plumbago I bought.

We'll see in few weeks if it will come back to life. Right now, it's not showing any signs of life.

Here is a link that might be useful: Plumbago Leadwort

• erasmus_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Virtuosity, Thanks for the link to the other thread. I think the plumbago you have pictured is not the one I'm talking about. I have the one in the picture too, and it is much lower growing, tough, drought tolerant, hardy and acts like a ground cover. The Cape plumbago gets to be a very large plant in hot zones like New Orleans. In my garden, it has grown to about 3' and has almost sky blue flowers with a little periwinkle cast to them. Blooms constantly till frost. I am sure it is less hardy than the leadwort you're talking about. There is someone in my area who overwinters a pot of Cape plumbago in her house, but I don't have a good spot to overwinter it. I thought it would need light. But maybe if it's completely dormant and cut back, I could put it in the dark and it would come back in spring.
    Linda

• buyorsell888
    14 years ago

Cape Plumbago is Plumbago auriculata and is semi tropical.

Leadwort is Ceratostigma plumbaginoides.

Unfortunately the common names are the same for each plant.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cape Plumbago pictures

• carrie630
    14 years ago

Could it be Plumbago Auriculata? - I overwinter mine (I pot them up in November) and put them back into the garden after frost (sometime in April). The flowers look like geraniums (pelagoriums) and it is a gorgeous blue color.

• erasmus_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yes, it's Plumbago auriculata. Carrie, when you overwinter yours do you try to keep the tops growing and green or do you let the whole thing go dormant? Do you keep it in light or dark? The plant is kind of expensive to me, so I want to learn how to overwinter mine. Last spring I bought a big plant of it, divided it in three, and then took cuttings. The cuttings were slow to root but ended up making good sized plants.
    Thanks,
    Linda

• wmarkw
    11 years ago

I'm bumping this. found 4 of these plants at Lowes on clearance for $2 each. Bought w/o researching first as its fun! Anyways do you think I can grow these fine in Evans/Augusta GA? Hotter than hell now. But my plan was to rid myself of some KO roses that are thin and not doing much. I over bought and now I'm sick of them; so the Plumbago's will be going in a nice mound and I will space them out and hopefully keep them around 4'. But they are little now. I guess if they are going to die if we have a few cold snaps I dont wanna go through the hassle. Thanks.

Mark

• kehjr
    8 years ago

Linda, your question about cape plumbago was way back in 2009 so I kinda doubt that you'll read what I have yo say on the matter but anybody lokking for info for zone 7 can benefit. ....I have had it come bak but it emerges so late in the summer that it doesn,t have time to get sufficient growth to stand a second winter...I now grow mine in 10 or 15 gal. nursery pots and overwinter in my shed, rolling them out into the sunshine on temperate days and use a heat lamp on cold nites. Feed and water as usual. Display in summer in a spot w/ morning. GORGEOUS1

Sadie

• kehjr
    8 years ago

Mark, plumbagos love the heat! If you are south of zone 7, you can plant in ground and they will wonderful shrubs and will bloom till frost. Zone 7 or north of, grow them in 10 or 15 ga. pots and put them in the garage.

Put them on rollers and take them out into the sunshine on days above freezing. In summer, place out side in morning shade. p.s. Feed and water as usual.

Sadie