Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aftermidnight_gw

Your Favorite Campanulas

Campanulas are another favorite of mine, I just started some more Campanula primulifolia seeds. I first grew this by mistake, the seed was supposed to be thysoides and not having growing either one of these I didn't know it was the wrong one until it bloomed. Then the hunt to find out what I actually had. I was really taken with the flowers but lost it after a particularly harsh winter. Here's a picture of my primulifolia, apparently not often seen in gardens, they say it reseeds but it sure didn't in my garden. What are some of your favorites?

Annette

Comments (11)

• sunnyborders
    10 years ago

Don't use campanulas much in mixed perennial beds.

Habit? But it's hard to forget a few highly invasive garden campanulas, notably Campanula punctata and C. takesimana.

For me cultivars of C. lactifolia, C. latifolia and related hybrids are the most useful.

Below: C.latifolia 'Brantwood' (June 22, 2013).
    It's not as flashy as C. 'Kent Belle', but it's easier to manage. A good all-rounder.

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sunnyborders that's lovely, I must look for that one.

Annette

• kms4me
    10 years ago

Annette, your C. primulifolia is realy beautiful. I traded for seeds of it a few years back, but the plants didn't survive their first winter (it was a bad one).

I hope you have success with it again. It is lovely.

kms

• david883
    10 years ago

I'll, uh, third that - amazing, SB! I'm going to have to get that one for sure. I have a few campanulas I'm starting from seeds. I HAD (bold, italic, underline, underline, underline) two campanulas I got from a plant exchange two years ago... one was "lady bells" the other "cluster bells". Well the clusterbells fell victim to a windy day that knocked their little pot over, snapped it in half and it never quite recovered or came back after proper planting. The lady bells... rude puppy grabbed the little container it was in and took off with it. So I'm hoping mine will go better this year and I'll report back on them, happily (hopefully)

• Ispahan Zone6a Chicago
    10 years ago

I grow 'Sarastro' and think it is gorgeous. For me, the plant does not spread by long stolons but the clump increases around the perimeter at an incredibly fast rate. I have very loose, sandy loam and I am not sure if that contributes to the fast multiplication! Regardless, it is a delightful and beautiful plant that is very easy to remove and/or transplant as needed.

This post was edited by ispahan on Mon, Apr 21, 14 at 11:20

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    10 years ago

I'm becoming more and more disenchanted with my C. percisifolia (Peach-Leaved Bellflower). It reseeds with wonton abandon. Sometimes I'm just not available to deadhead them right when they should be trimmed. I'm reaping the consequences of that now though...they are literally everywhere- even popping up in the middle of other plants.

The double 'La Belle' can be trusted not to become a nuisance (although it needs to be divided frequently for life-longevity)
    {{gwi:210731}}

So far I also like lactiflora...
    CMK

Original Author
    10 years ago

I don't have as many campanulas as I used to, some have died out and I'm having a hard time replacing them unless I grow from seed. I keep looking for cochleariifolia in the garden centers but no luck so far. I still have a non-descript glomerata for some reason it's quite well behaved, 'Sarastro' and then there's bits of poscharskyana running through some rock work, this one gets clipped back after flowering. I have one more but don't know which one it is, at least I think I still have it, after this weird winter I don't know.

Christin I think I'm in love, do you ever collect seed from 'La Belle', hint, hint, that is a real beauty.

Annette

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    10 years ago

-Annette, 'La Belle' is sterile. I'm not sure what the restrictions are to ship live plants to Canada?? I'd send you a chunk (almost mistyped that to "hunk", LOL!!) otherwise ;-)
    CMK

Original Author
    9 years ago

Double darn, oh well, I'll have to keep my eyes open for 'La Belle' up my way. Now about that 'hunk' LOL.

Annette

• woodyswife
    9 years ago

I've got Glomerta Superba and although its pretty now and beautiful when it flowers in June it is terribly invasive--I'm afraid it's gonna strangle everything else in my bed. I don/t know how to control it short of tearing up the whole bed. Oh well--I should listen when people say a plant is invasive, but at least it's nice to look at.

• gyr_falcon
    9 years ago

I love the many campanulas; unfortunately, they are not fond our hot summers and die out after a year or three. C. poscharskyana is about the only one that toughs it out for many years, but it does not spread as quickly here as it does in other areas. I still give them garden space if I can grab some for reasonable prices for temp plants.

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor