Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sara82lee

Coreopsis Early Sunrise

sara82lee
9 years ago

I got some coreopsis from the farmers market today. They're only about 4 inches tall, so I assume they are seedlings newly planted this year.

I am hoping they keep a neat mound shape like I've read, and I like the short height. I am also hoping they are more yellow and not yellow-orangey.

But what I really want to know is, assuming these are new first - year plants, how long do you think they will take to bloom?

I'm trying not to be too impatient, but our 80 degree weather turned back into 40's and 50's. But it's too late. The spring bug has bit me.

Thanks!

Comments (4)

• gardenweed_z6a
    9 years ago

Coreopsis 'Early Sunrise' is a very reliable perennial here in Zone 6 and provides quite a nice display of bright yellow blooms that don't lean towards being more orange than yellow.

According to my 2012 garden notes, my seed-grown plants bloomed the beginning of June.

I consider them a valuable addition to the perennial garden since they require zero attention aside from my admiration. They do attract pollinators--bees, butterflies & birds.

I haven't found 'Early Sunrise' to have a mounding habit. My own plants were grown from seed via winter sowing which tends to make them more robust than nursery-grown plants. Mine grow in a clump & attain a height of nearly 3 ft. tall. It's been my experience that the mounding, shorter Coreopsis cultivars are in the thread-leaf group, i.e., Coreopsis verticillata 'Zagreb' or 'Moonbeam.' I have 'Zagreb' which is a stronger yellow than 'Moonbeam' but even so doesn't lean toward orange.

• sara82lee
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wow, thanks for the information! I'm delighted to hear about the color, and blooming beginning of June. That's more than I had hoped for. And of course, the fact that they don't need much attention is a big plus.

Three feet tall is making me rethink where I was going to put them, though! The tag says 18 inches. Haha. I have another place where they'd be good, and I'll look into the shorter varieties you mentioned.

Thanks again. That was very helpful.

This post was edited by sara82lee on Sun, Apr 20, 14 at 9:48

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    9 years ago

In my experience, 'Early Sunrise' does stay at around 18 inches or less.

Kevin

• gardenweed_z6a
    9 years ago

My 'Early Sunrise' plants were grown from seed via the winter sowing method which likely accounts for their additional height. My winter sown Siberian iris plants grow a full foot taller than those from a hothouse/garden nursery.

sara82lee - since Kevin confirmed the height of 'Early Sunrise' in his garden, please disregard the information I posted above regarding height. I'm glad the color and bloom time information was helpful.

Kevin - I wish my winter sown plants grew to less than 2 ft. since where I planted them (at the base of an oak tree) they sure look odd growing so tall!

Sponsored
SparkWise Electric (aka Max Electric)
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
Loudoun County's Expert Electricians for Electric Service and Lighting