Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mmidwest

Advice on combining rock and wood mulch in new bed

M V
10 years ago

My husband is renting equipment to dig around the front of our foundation tomorrow, as instructed by a structural engineer, before we purchased our home (the foundation has a crack). The engineer told us to dig down five feet out around the front left, when looking at the house. We are to then lay down rubber pond liner and top with landscaping rock. I had rock used a mulch. It looks so formal, and formal doesn't fit this house in my opinion. I usually prefer dark, wood mulch.

All the current bushes will be coming out and we will be starting over. What do you think it would look like if we did landscaping rock five feet out, as instructed, with wood mulch in front? I think it would look more natural if reversed, but that isn't an option. I was thinking a larger type, variegated stone might look best. Maybe if I then "edged" with the same/similar colored stone in the front?

I prefer more natural looking landscaping. Any suggestions as to foundation plantings?

Comments (6)

• M V
    Original Author
    10 years ago

the rock will be 5 feet out, starting right by the foundation, under the bump out

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

I might seek another opinion. The type of mulch you use has nothing to do with foundation issues. From what little I know about such things after having a 'problem basement' years ago in OH, wrapping the basement walls is usually done all the way around the house. I don't see how doing one wall could solve the problem.

Where does the water go from that drainpipe? It should go away from the house, not into the ground next to it. That looks like the problem to me from what little one can see in these pics. Does the ground slope down toward the house there also?

The ground should slope away from the house. Then water flows away from it and doesn't pool up around the outside of the basement walls.

There is no reason I would ever use rock as mulch. It's too hard to pull weeds out.

I don't feel like I can see enough of what's to the left in the first pic to suggest any particular plants. Also have no idea where you are, what garden zone? Which way does this house face?

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    10 years ago

I think there may be some misunderstanding. What you are describing is a fairly common approach to avoiding water penetration to a foundation and alleviating drainage issues. The pond liner and rock will be below grade, soil on top. You can then plant and use whatever type of mulch you prefer.

Just a word of caution........correcting drainage and water penetration issues is not something normally done by a home owner. Generally professionals are involved and for very good reason. Some of the suggestions you have been given are not standard practices although the intent is clear. Purple's advice above is valid in that there is more going on here than is obvious from your post.

As I am involved in this type of work professionally as a designer, I highly encourage you to get a second opinion as to how best to proceed. You could be opening up a huge can of worms if you just follow the suggestions already given without consideration of any side effects.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

consider a few row height of retaining wall brick... to delineate the two areas ...

but not in a straight line ...

in fact.. your whole lot slopes to the left of the pic.. the retaining wall.. could be made make the house appear level .... the wall rising toward the left .. if you know what i mean.. making the house seem anchored to terra firma ... and then you develop a garden bed in front..

i have to go cook dinner.. i will post you a pic of what i am talking about later.. or tomorrow ...

do not mix landscape stone and mulch.. you will regret it for the rest of your life ... but if you are talking larger rocks.. no problem ...

ken

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    10 years ago

I think it is OK to have your husband do the digging to save on the cost, but I would call the engineer back to inspect the work before refilling. Gardengal48 makes good points. Al

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

my house also sits on a hill ... with a slope ...

i put in the wall ... and it apear to be built like a castle on a hill.. adding horizontal aspects to the view.. before. it looked like it would slip right off the hill.. lol

it also added flat planting beds ..

in you application.. you could have the working drain part close to the house ... and garden beds below ...

how that all works in highly disturbed soil.. after he has dug.. and how it all need be done.. is beyond me ...

though extremely hard labor.. hoiking around the blocks.. it wasnt all that hard in my sand ... but i am not qualified to tell you how it could be done properly ....

its just an idea.. regarding your titled question ... to bifurcate two differing products ...

ken
    {{gwi:211252}}

{{gwi:211253}}

{{gwi:211254}}

{{gwi:211255}}