Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Autumn Salvia 'Furman's Red' question

Posted by brit5467 7b VA East Coast (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 3, 12 at 19:18

Am in 7B. Everthing is coming up except this plant. Can I assume it's dead if there is no sign of life whatsover? Didn't know if some plants take longer to put out new growth?

If dead, wanna pull it out now cuz I have another plant to go there.

Thanks!
Bonnie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Autumn Salvia 'Furman's Red' question

Here, autumn sage, Salvia greggii, seldom survives the winter. Not because of cold issues but because winters tend to be pretty wet and IME, this is a plant that dotes on very dry and fast draining soil conditions. When it does survive - I've grown it in containers for a couple of seasons - it is pretty much evergreen so I'm guessing the "no sign of life" with yours is not a good sign :-)

o

As a lark I planted one in the garden that had lived in a pot in the summer. It's in the dryish area under the eaves on the south side of the house, and though it died back to the ground, after our mild winter, it is resprouting!

o

Thanks to both. Trying to use tablet on porch during spring shower(luv it!!!!) But don't think GW (or me.....lol) are compatible so will reply again later with questions.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here