Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to get rid of Liriope

Posted by samsthumb 5b (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 12, 10 at 19:25

I like Liriope but it is invading my hostas. Is there any way to get rid of it? Chemical spraying is fine with me.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to get rid of Liriope

• Posted by leafy02 6 Central Kentucky (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 12, 10 at 21:32

I offered mine on Freecycle, free to anyone who would come and dig it up. I got lots of replies and it was gone in a couple of days, and I didn't have to do the digging. I'm planning to get rid of about 40 square feet of feet of black mondo grass the same way.

o

I don't have that option as it is in my hostas and spirea bushes now.

o
leafy02

leafy- can I PUHLEEEEESE have your black mondo grass? it is so true that, as paul simon says,One Man's Ceiling is Another Man's Floor. But seriously, that stuff is so tough you could just throw it in a box and send it to me and it would probably survive. Gosh I would happily send you something you'd like, to make it worth your trouble. Any requests? I'd be happy to oblige. You can see alot of our arboretum plants on our new website.

www.cottonarboretum.com/

best,
mindy
cottonarboretum@comcast.net

o
samsthumb

liriope is really easy for me to remove because of its neat clumps of sturdy shallow roots. you have had no luck removing it by hand? if it's as close to your hosta and spirea roots as you seem to indicate, i would not recommend Roundup like things because roundup will kill any plants that it gets on. I would use one of those narrow forked(central- notched) weeding tools good for dandelion type roots.

best,
mindy

o

• Posted by mxk3 z5b/6 MI (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 13, 10 at 15:40

I find Liriope muscari pretty easy to keep under control - L. muscari is a clumper, not a runner, so I just take a shovel and hack off the daughter clumps, and a good pull takes care of it and the roots.

o

• Posted by leafy02 6 Central Kentucky (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 13, 10 at 20:00

Sorry, arbo retum. I can't dig right now due to a rotator cuff injury, so the Freecyclers who will dig their own are gonna get the mondo.

o

I don't know what variety it is...just green not varigated with pale blue spires in fall...followed by black berries. It forms a dense mat that cannot be pulled up. Even when it gets loose as a single plant it is almost impossible to dig out. Tough stuff. The only good place to put it is between two concrete paths or between a house and a sideway. Must be contained!

o

Relatively speaking, Liriope is somewhat RoundUp resistant.

o

I use either a sharp shovel or a long sharp knife to cut through the very dense root mat, then pry it up. I found that repurposing an old carving knife was well worth it overall if you have one.

It helps to water the area well a couple of days prior to loosen up the soil for the prying it up part.

I'm afraid thinning out monkey grass is just always going to be hard work.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here