Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Identifying bulbs? Multiple flowers planted in the same spot...

Posted by lvice (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 21, 14 at 19:35

Last year our dogs tore to shreds the most beautiful tiger lily plants, bulbs and everything. I was sure they were done for, so I dug up the rest of what I could find and my mom replanted some things from other parts of our flower bed to fill the space (we were in survival mode with twins so I was grateful for any help).

Well fast forward to this spring and now we have a few tiger lily stalks coming back! Miraculously. However it is sharing a spot with a daffodil and some monkey grass :(

I am in the process of trying to separate it all and the only way to get it all apart and not have this same issue again is to get up all the bulbs.

My problem is that ALL the bulbs Im getting are looking the same! How do I determine what is lily and what is daffodil???

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Identifying bulbs? Multiple flowers planted in the same spot.

Lily bulbs are composed of a series of scales (think pinecone) . Daffs for the most part are smooth.

Kevin

o

thank you! Perhaps Ive only come across daffodil bulbs so far. This helps a lot

o

Oh! one more thing...

Can I turn around and replant everything now or am I supposed to wait until fall? If I need to wait - where should I store them in the meantime?

o

Plant them now.

K

o

Do NOT wait until Fall. It's tricky to store bulbs that long without killing them, particularly lily.

The Daffodils may have a papery covering. The lilies will be scaly. The two of them can probably cohabit fine. (The daffodil blooms early and goes to sleep). The monkey grass is the thing you have to be careful to get rid of if you want the lilies to survive.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here