Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is this mildew on my asters??

Posted by ATekk 6nj (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 25, 12 at 19:42

I went out into the garden today to observe growth and noticed this unusual foam like substance on a variety of asters. It is the consistency of foam soap coming out of the crevices between the leaves.

Is this a form of mildew? How should I treat it?

It does seem to be affecting the plants as the ones who have it seem to be weaker than the ones that to do not. I hope it doesn't spread before I have time to treat it!

2012 04 25 19 22 53 733 (1)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is this mildew on my asters??

If you gently brush away the foam, you will find a small pale colored grub inside. As kids we called them spittle bugs, but I don't know their scientific name. They create the foam for protection using the plant fluids.

o

Thanks nhbabs. Definitely spittlebugs after googling.

I keep reading to blast them out with the jet setting on your hose and then squish them. Since my plants are still to delicate to "blast" I may have to pry them out and then squish them.

Any other recommendations?

o

A minor annoyance not a serious damage to plants. Takes very little spray to remove them. Al

o

Should you begin finding more and more of the spittle bug 'nests' you might want to get after them with insecticidal soap. It's the nymphs that are in the foam, the adults are one of several species of leafhopper or planthoppers. Adults and nymphs alike suck plant juices from their host plant, and adults are infamous for spreading pathogens from plant to plant.

If you've been noticing only a few...don't worry. If the population seems troublesome, use a good commercial brand of insecticidal soap sprayed directly on the foam and onto the critter.

Asters and spittlebugs go hand in hand.

Here is a link that might be useful: Species of adult spittlebugs

o

We call it cuckoo spit here and the little green bug we call a froghopper. It has froggy bug eyes. A squirt from the hose will dislodge them.

o

Thanks again for everyone's input. Very happy to hear overall I shouldn't be too concerned since mine definitely is not wide spread. I will take everyones notes when I start moving some of them this weekend to new locations (crazy how 3 small plants bought from Bluestone turned to roughly 25+ this year...wayyyy over crowding the space...guess they like the location).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here