Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bluebirdpeony

Bulbs uprooting

BlueBirdPeony
11 years ago

Another issue about bulbs coming out of the ground. New house, not sure what these are. What's the best plan here? There is already growth.

Any experience from anyone?

Comments (11)

• BlueBirdPeony
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Another view.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    11 years ago

Those are bearded (AKA German) iris. The roots (not really bulbs, but they look like them) want to be right on the surface since if they are buried under the surface they will rot.

This post was edited by nhbabs on Fri, Apr 5, 13 at 21:23

• hostaholic2 z 4, MN
    11 years ago

They're pretty tough, they should be fine.

• cecily
    11 years ago

What Babs said... that's how they're supposed to look. If you don't like the appearance, you can separate or move them in June after they flower but the rhizome should be above the soil.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

the rhizome should be above the soil

===>>> well.. about half in.. half out ... but definitely NOT underground ...

and the second pic.. pull back that loose skin.. if the center is eaten out.. you MIGHT have iris borers ...

there is an iris forum.. and around bloom time [which is soon for the CA peeps] .. those peeps usually go crazy with flower pix.. should you be interested ...

and as the rhiz's expand.. the old ones die out in the center .. in very slow motion.. they move around ... and the hardcore iris peeps.. dig and replant them.. cleaning out the old stuff ...

ken

• BlueBirdPeony
    Original Author
    11 years ago

That's great, thanks guys!! I'm inclined to let them be for now and see how they do. The man that lived here previously did not uproot them every year I don't think. We bought last march and everything was undisturbed. We're going to be mulching (some) today. I'll come back later with pictures of all the perrenials we inherited.

Thanks again!!

• susanzone5 (NY)
    11 years ago

Don't put mulch on the irises.

• BlueBirdPeony
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Susan, thank you. I looked up mulch and irises and learned a lot. We mulched today and I will go double check the irises tomorrow to make sure they are not covered. Thanks to everyone. I'm amazed at your knowledge.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    11 years ago

BBP - I am impressed by your explanatory photos and thoughtful questions! It makes it easy to answer.

This post was edited by nhbabs on Sun, Apr 7, 13 at 10:48

• BlueBirdPeony
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Babs, thanks! Where in NH are you? My parents live in Lyme. Some of the biggest and best hydrangeas I've ever seen are in NH and VT. Blew me away. Hydrangeas are some of my favorites.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    11 years ago

BBL, I am about 1 1/2 hrs south of your folks, about 10 miles north of Concord. I have lots of hydrangeas because as long as I plant hardy varieties, they are easy to grow here: long blooming, not bothered by pests, polite with neighbors (except Annabelle who likes to sucker), and generally happy as long as I don't give them too much hot and dry conditions.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!