Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Knautia 'Thunder and Lightning'?

Posted by rouge21 5b (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 25, 12 at 20:11

The pictures I see on the internet show distinctive variegated foliage with deep pink blooms but these same pictures seem to show it to be less than floriferous i.e. not lots of flowers at one time.

Do any of you have any personal experience with this particular Knautia?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Knautia 'Thunder and Lightning'?

I have three of them that I bought two years ago. I think. They're very pretty and have stayed variegated. They're quite short so you'll need to stick them somewhere you can see them. They flower well for me. Mine have sort of a wine red bloom. My only complaint is that I'd wish they'd grow a bit more vigorously as they're so pretty.

o

Thanks for the post athenainwi. So you do gets lots of blooms per plant...good to hear. How long in the spring? or summer does this particular 'Knautia' continue to bloom?

By chance do you have any photos of your 3 plants in flower?

o

I'll see if I can find pictures. I seem to recall them flowering in June and July but I don't remember if it was the whole month.

o

generally, variagated plants do lack some vigour - which can be a positive thing (aegopodium for example).

o

I have seen this older stock of this plant in a couple of nurseries and the base leaves of many are non variegated. So it does seem to revert.

o

My experience with Knautia macedonica is that it blooms all summer long, but not many flowers at any time. Besides, it is not very long lived in my experience.

o

i have lost this fantastic bold foliage plant 3 different yrs. But trying again. Flowers are def not pink, rather crimson/burgundyish. just starting to flower now; use it on bed edge as it keeps very tidy.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here