Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
online store for crocuses

Posted by v1rtu0s1ty (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 6, 11 at 20:26

Hi folks,

The link is a crocus from a friend of mine. She's actually a gardenweb member too. Do you have any suggestion where I can buy them(really nice varieties) online?

Here is a link that might be useful: Friend's Crocus

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: online store for crocuses

Neil - many reputable online nurseries sell crocus bulbs. Check out Bluestone Perennials or any of the other Watch*dog 30 companies. I get Bluestone's catalog a couple of times a year. Crocus bulbs, like daffodils, snowdrops, etc., are planted in the fall. In addition to purple, there are white ones, yellow ones and my personal favorite, Pickwick which is a white/purple striped variety.

o

I haven't looked at the link, but overall, I think John Scheepers is the best (quality, variety and price)catalog for bulbs, though they don't carry Colchicums.

o

i am sure you are aware that they are planted in october ....

that pic at your website.. there are probably about 40 bulbs there.. if your friend has any volume of them.. perhaps you could scavenge some ... once the foliage start to wither ...

ken

o

Pretty much any online vendor that sells bulbs will offer crocuses and there are literally dozens of such places - Brent and Becky's, Scheepers, Van Engelen, M&Z, Dutch Bulbs, Holland Bulb Farm, BloomingBulb, etc, etc. And I'd venture that any local retail nursery or garden center will have a decent selection as well in September at the appropriate planting time.

The other vendor rating site referred to above has a search feature you can use to identify vendors for a specific plant or bulb type. Very handy, as you can check the rating on the company at the same time.

o

• Posted by mxk3 z5b/6 MI (My Page) on
    Thu, Apr 7, 11 at 13:33

For regular 'ol crocus, I wouldn't even bother with mail order - they are readily available in the fall unless you live out in the middle of nowhere.

o

Thank you so much everyone! That helps a lot. :)

Ken, it's ok. I'll just buy them.

o

Old House Gardens has a really dark purple crocus with a terrible name (Negro Boy) it is an heirloom and looks a lot like that picture.

Ordinary "Dutch" crocuses are available all over in fall but I mail order lots of different ones. I love the tommasinianus, and other smaller crocus.

Here is a link that might be useful: Old House Gardens

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here