Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Passiflora caerulea on a bush like a clematis?

Posted by sara82lee 8a (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 21, 14 at 20:57

I got a blue passion flower last year and kept it in a deep hanging basket. It did well all summer until winter came... and it didn't come back. I think this is partially due to the fact that it was in a basket, and partially because I didn't water it all winter and it was under the roof of my porch :(

I'd like to not kill another one. Therefore I don't want to try the basket again! However, I don't really have a place to train it on a trellis. Can I have it grow on a bush, like a clematis can? I'm thinking of a hawthorn bush. . .

Thanks for your help, as always!

Oh, and if it has invasive-potential I'd definitely consider putting it in a pot and burying the pot next to the bush.

This post was edited by sara82lee on Mon, Apr 21, 14 at 21:05

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Passiflora caerulea on a bush like a clematis?

In a conducive climate and growing in the ground P caerulea can grow enormous - up to 30 feet. It also pops up around the original plant, sometimes some distance away. So it would be sensible to find out locally if it will go romping away as it does here. Although evergreen it does get scruffy so cutting it back hard is a good way of keeping it neater. I'm not sure it would succeed in a buried pot. I think it would either wither through lack of nourishment or it would escape in search of it.

o
RE: Passiflora caerulea on a bush like a clematis?

• Posted by dbarron Z6/7 (Oklahoma) (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 23, 14 at 8:24

Passiflora incarnata enjoys growing on fences here...so I suspect the same would be true of caerulea.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here