Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bluebirdpeony

Similar question re: placing herbs

BlueBirdPeony
10 years ago

My other raised bed triumph is this stair step planter with small individual boxes. I'm intending to use it for herbs and small vegetables. The reason for the divide is to attempt to control things like mint (which I don't dare plant in the garden proper for its invasive nature).

I'm just starting to plan out which things to plant where. So far all I can think of is the tallest need to go in the back. Standing looking at the bed you are facing West (bed itself therefore faces East). It will be full sun all day.

Can anyone help me re: what should go where? Any other edibles besides herbs that might favor this set up? Berries? We will plant tomatoes, beets, cucumbers, peppers, beans and peas elsewhere.

Thanks!

(for those of you with curious natures the planks behind this bed cover an old, hand-dug water well from 1880, when the oldest part of our home was built. It sits on a spring and we use it for watering the herb/veggie garden)

Comments (4)

• BlueBirdPeony
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Boxes are roughly 11 inches square although the first row is slightly longer (back to front). All boxes are about 11" deep. The two higher rows have shelves as bottoms and do not extend to the ground.

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    10 years ago

Wow, that's some nice-looking woodwork, as is your trellis in the other post. I wish I could build something like these! Nice job.

Are you planting annual herbs or perennial herbs?

I have to ask... if this box is facing east, won't the lower plants have their sun blocked by the back of the planter and the upper rows of plants? Wouldn't you want it to face west?

Dee

• gardenper
    10 years ago

@diggerdee, I guess if some herbs just want morning sun or early sun, that would be a good way to achieve it. That brings up an interesting idea that because of this, then maybe tall plants could go in the front, lowest section.

If you orient it with a north/south direction, then all plants will get sun all day long, so then you'll have to consider about herbs that can't take all that heat or need additional water.

With a box around that size, though, it seems like just putting mint into a container would have contained it also.

How is the bottom constructed for each level?

The herbs I grow and use, either for food or attracting wildlife are: mint, green onion, chives, cilantro, pineapple sage, garden sage, rosemary, lavender, bee balm, basil, lemon grass.

Make a similar list of the herbs you want and then that will help you and us to see how they would be situated.

• BlueBirdPeony
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi guys- thanks for your help and your concern.

Yes, it faces east. My reason for orienting it east was that I didn't want more than 8 hours of sun. Some herbs can tolerate more, but most require 8 minimum in my experience. The plan is to put the tallest herbs in back so as not to shade those in front until quite late in the day. Even if the box faced north the tallest would shade the shortest at some point.

We planted this morning. 2 kinds of mint, rosemary, thyme, tarragon, lavender, oregano, parsley. I will have to let you know how it goes!

I also bought some bee balm, but I'm not familiar with it. What can you tell me about bee balm?

Sponsored
Ramos Timber
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Westerville's Top Craftsman & Exceptional Quality Tile & Stone