Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is this salvia...???

Posted by brit5467 7b/8a Coastal VA (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 22, 14 at 21:40

What is this? Its an old pic. Plant died for no reason. Would like another one.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is this salvia...???

• Posted by babera 5a (Montana) (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 22, 14 at 22:49

I don't see any salvia . . . but which plant are you questioning? They are all nice looking plants BTW. . .

o

It looks like Salvia greggii. No one could tell you the cultivar for sure but 'Flame' is similar looking.

o

Babera....the one in middle with one red flower on it....had just planted (whenever that was) and was just coming into bloom. And thanx for compliment.

Danita....I seem to remember the word 'Flame' being in name.

Are they hard to grow? It never took off that year and didn't come back the next.

Bonnie

o

No plant dies for no reason. Even if it was just to spite the grower. ;-)

o

LOL!!!!!!!!! Bet that was it!!!! Musta not talked nice enough to it...*grin*

o

Salvia greggii are actually very easy to grow if you give them sun and good drainage. The good drainage factor is especially important in the winter. Last summer, I lost several that I've had for years due to the non-stop rain. The ones that survived had exceptionally good drainage.

Since you are on the coast you may also have even higher humidity than I do, which wouldn't be to its liking. You may want to try Salvia microphylla instead which seems to be more humidity tolerant. Salvia microphylla and Salvia greggii are very closely related and interbreed easily so many plants on the market are hybrids between the two. The flowers look identical but the leaves are slightly different. Nurseries seem to constantly mislabel the microphyllas as greggiis which doesn't help matters. A few of the cultivars that are easier to find are Salvia microphylla 'Hot Lips' and the 'Heatwave' series of S. microphylla hybrids. Of the Heatwave series, I like my 'Blaze' and 'Blast' the best. I actually bought mine at Lowe's and saw them there last year, too.

They are great, long-blooming plants and the hummingbirds love them! :)

o

Drainage was prolly the problem. We had the same rain issues. Plus it was on a low spot.

I will check out the ones u suggested ...thx!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here