Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Does variegated Lunaria revert?

Posted by linnea56 z5 IL (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 14, 14 at 21:46

I got a plant in trade 3 - 4 years ago. One of the things I really liked about it was that besides the brilliantly colored flowers and (or course) the "money", was that the white edged variegated leaves were so attractive. But though it has seeded since and bloomed, the leaves seem to be solid green, or green with just a touch of a edge of white, not enough to be called variegated.

So, do they revert to solid green? Thanks�..

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Does variegated Lunaria revert?

I also had some variegated Lunaria but not sure if I have any left. I don't know exactly what happened to them because they are in an area I'm not paying much attention to. I think I've had the same experience that the seedlings around the plant were solid green, but then a year or two later, I saw more variegated plants in that area. I'll let you know in May whether I find any more. At any rate they don't seem to be very stable I guess. Too bad too, because I love them.

o

I also have the pink flowering variegated Lunaria, haven't noticed if they eventually revert or not. I usually scatter seed in an out of the way patch then prick out and replant ones showing the most variegation, pull the rest. This year I sowed in six packs, no true leaves yet so I don't know what I have. I also have a few seeds of the white flowering one but the seed is old. I think so far I have only one seedling from that one. The picture below is the plant I saved seed from last fall, it is one that self seeded at the edge of a planter and never got pulled, if I remember correctly there wasn't much variegation showing the first year.

Annette

o

I just have to say.... aftermidnight - that is a beautiful plant! I think I am the one person that cannot grow lunaria (don't people have problems with it reseeding TOO much!?) and this makes me want to give it another try!

o

Thanks to both of you. Maybe more variegation will show this year, then. If memory serves, this should be the blooming year for the ones I have now. I don’t remember any blooming last year, unless I just forgot. If I fail to take a photo, I don’t always remember.

Right now all the leaves look like the leaf at the lower right of Annette’s photo: with only a touch of white.

o

They don't show much of the variegation until they go into the blooming phase, also if the plain ones are nearby they'll cross and you'll likely lose the variegation. Mine look like the winter did them in :( but I noticed a seedling or two so there's hope.

o

Thanks. I don't have any plain ones. OThers could have some but I doubt it, I'm the only gardener I know around here. I will have faith that variegation is coming!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here