Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
huge non hardy mum

Posted by michael1846 6 (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 13, 14 at 21:53

So i did it agian. I bought a huge florist mum. BUT this one is 1 stem with 1 huge flower(covered in glitter eww)im going to try to grow it! My florist mum from last year wintered over and is great right now!! (Any0ne remember that thing about mums i posted EVERY ONE WINTERED OVER) so has any one tried to grow these? my plan is to grow it nice and big and then take cuttings and plant /store them in different places.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: huge non hardy mum

Have fun.

My approach this year is buying small size plants of known hardy mum varieties in spring and giving them an opportunity to establish themselves before next winter.

o

Eric if you plant them in swptember and dont let them dry out they shouild do fine! All of mine came up this year:)

o

I've long since given up hoping for the potted mums to overwinter in the ground. But they do sometimes overwinter in the big pots we transplant them into and store in the garage for the winter. Last year a large mum was growing strongly by the time we moved the big pots out of the garage in the spring. So I left it in the pot, gave it some slow release fertilizer and clipped it back in mid-May, early June, and early July to keep it bushy, and then let it set buds and bloom in August. It's the orangy-red one in the picture below. As you can see when you compare it with the dark red potted mum bought fresh last summer, my clipping/pinching (and perhaps not enough fertilizer?) didn't produce nearly as bushy a plant as the purchased potted ones. We moved the pots out of the garage last weekend. Two of the mums are still alive but I'm going to throw them out this year. I've got an order in for the Mammoth mums and I have an old hardy white one that we like so I'm going to stick to the hardy types now and not bother with potted ones other than perhaps as throw-away temporary fall color until I see how the Mammoth ones perform here.

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here