Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gdionelli

Why didn't I plant trollius before?

gdionelli
18 years ago

I planted trollius Lemon Queen for the first time last year, and now it's blooming. What a joyful plant! Can anyone tell me: is it a long-lived perennial? Does it spread much? Is the orange version equally delightful?

Comments (25)

• party_music50
    18 years ago

I *LOVE* my Trollius! and I can't convince anyone else to grow it! I started with 3 small plants, near each other. After about 15 years, I lost one of them, so saved the seed and finally got another started last year. :) They don't spread for me, but they're in a rough spot. lol.

• ghoghunter
    18 years ago

Well I am so glad to hear this. I just purchased and received three of the orange ones from Bluestone! I want to get them planted this week! They looked so pretty in the catalog! I can't wait to see them bloom.

• gardenbug
    18 years ago

I have "Cheddar", a pale yellow and love it. Also some bright yellows and the orange. Orange blooms later on and is spectacular with blue flowered plants. I first saw it in display gardens at the Stratford Festival in Ontario a number of years ago.
    June 27, 2005
    {{gwi:213985}}

• tracey_nj6
    18 years ago

I love my trollius too! I have one in full sun and one in most shade. The plant in most shade does better. Neither spread at all.
    "Lemon Queen"
    {{gwi:213987}}
    {{gwi:213989}}

• chris_ont
    18 years ago

And here is mine. I wish it would spread more!
    {{gwi:213991}}

{{gwi:213994}}

• diggingthedirt
    18 years ago

I haven't planted it because I always thought it was invasive. All your photos are making me feel really, really sorry that I don't have this plant. Huh! Sounds like a good reason to go shopping without further ado.

• party_music50
    18 years ago

Well, I'm glad to hear that mine aren't the only ones that don't spread! lol. I always thought it was my abuse that kept it as a small plant. :) Mine are 'Golden Queen'.

chris_ont, your's are such a *perfect* globe! I love them!!!

Have you all let them go to seed??? I didn't until I lost that one plant. Don't you just LOVE the seedpods?! They remind me of sticky green raspberries. :o)

• ljrmiller
    18 years ago

I started Trollius from seed last year, but I don't know if it came back or not. There's no sign of life (from the Trollius) in that little corner of the garden. But then, I may be missing little just-unfurling leaves because of the rampant chaos in that bed. Christopher Lloyd ain't got nothing on me when it comes to over-stuffed, riotous mish-mashes of plants.

Lisa

• mmqchdygg
    18 years ago

I've got mine in full sun, but am planning on moving it to shade. Must do that asap before it gets much bigger...just popping through the ground right now.

• barefootinct
    18 years ago

These are just beautiful. What do you plant with them?
    Patty

• zolablue
    18 years ago

Here is a photo of my Trollius (Golden Queen) last year. I loved them so much I went out to buy more and added some Orange Princess. I can't wait for them to bloom.

They are a beautiful addition to your garden especially if you are looking for vibrant orange flowers which are not so easy to find. Oh, and I only wish this plant was invasive! If only, but they're not. They are quite tidy and simply lovely things.

I am in the process of moving all my photos so I apologize for sending you to Webshots with all the crazy ads.

Here is a link that might be useful: Golden Queen Trollius

• leslie197
    17 years ago

Quite long-lived perennials. I have Lemon Queen & Gold Queen which were bought from a really bad catalog company over 10 years ago as very tiny (barely rooted) seedlings. Over the years they have been split twice and moved several other times. The clumps get pretty large eventually, but do not run or creep around.

Gold Queen is a rich somewhat orangish gold and the color is bit harder to match with other early perennials than Lemon Queen. Other than that they behave about the same for me.

• ornata
    17 years ago

I always thought they needed lots of moisture - do they do okay in normal soil?

• gdionelli
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I'm no expert, since I've had them only since last summer. Mine are in what passes for ordinary soil in my garden -- but we do get a lot of rain here. I certainly haven't given them any special treatment.

• chris_ont
    17 years ago

Mine are in a patch that remains relatively damp and I was of the impression that that's the correct environment for them (although some post here seem to suggest that it's not entirely necessary).

These bloom before much else does and so I have them near other shade plants whose foliage complements them. When they finish blooming, trollius tends to look a little ragged. Nearby astilbe and bleeding heart quickly covers that up, though.

• ljrmiller
    17 years ago

I found my Trollius seedlings! I just couldn't see them for all the other plants in the bed.

• elvis
    17 years ago

Needless to say, I'm jumping in rather late here. I usually hang out at Wisconsin, Seed Exchange, Orchids and Name That Plant :)

My trollius is heirloom and is simply known as trollius europaeus. I keep it in partial shade, moist and well drained, and it spreads, though not invasively--just nicely. It's a very hardy plant; has to be up here, LOL. It's lemon yellow; not pale and not a bit gold.

I have fresh seed from this growing season if anyone's interested (a trade, perhaps?).

• laperouse
    17 years ago

Elvis,

I'd love some of your troillus e. seeds. E-mail me what you are looking for and hopefully we can get a trade going.

Marianne

• nancyd
    17 years ago

I'm glad I kept this plant around. I had pulled it out once, only to have a volunteer replace it. I grew to love it - had to move it into part-sun because they don't do well in shade for me. It is beautiful - reminds me of a peony. My trollius do reseed, I'm surprised not everyone's does. Not invasively, but I get at least 2 more a year. Maybe it's because I let some of the flowerheads go to seed, I'm not sure. Usually that's a busy time of year for me, so I'm not on top of pruning. Be careful what you weed out in the spring, I didn't realize what they were at first. The leaves are a dead giveaway. The "babies" look exactly like the parent plant.

• dfaustclancy
    16 years ago

Hi all,

Bumping this up from last fall...

I planted two tiny trollius in my very damp, boggy edge-of-pond shady area expecting I don't know what. What I'm getting is soooooooooooo disappointing! Hardly any growth at all. (Maybe the geese have been eating them?) They look so sad. Is it possible it's too damp? I thought they would like wet conditions. Very very sad looking. Need some advice, Please. When do they bloom and what do they look like when they are done?

Thanks,
    Debra

• hoghaven_duluthmn
    16 years ago

Debra,

My trollius did not do much the first year--I did have to baby them a bit. They are now blooming (second year) but I think Duluth would be way behind you. My trollius is planted on the North side of the house, practically right under a rain gutter downspout. It is blooming next to some tall Jacob's Ladders--the combination is a wonderful accident on my part. I have noticed walkers and bikers slowing down when they go by to get a better look. Worth it.

• leslie197
    16 years ago

I have several Lemon Queens planted in my "wet" garden with various things with the word "swamp" in their common name. This area used to pretty much lay in water for weeks at a time, but as dried up some since.

I keep the trollius along a edge where it is a bit drier in this garden, but if you dig into the soil in spring, as I did this year, it is very squishy. So unless it was so wet as to rot the plant, I don't think water is the problem with your plant.

As much as I can remember (I first got these more than 10 years ago) they pretty much did the Sleep, Creep, Leap thing, although in my garden it may have been the Sleep, Creep, Creep, and then Leap, which often happens here.

BTW, my Gold Queens are currently residing in a normal garden bed in a sunnier area and bloomed two weeks later this year than the lemon ones. Sort of surprised me.
    {{gwi:213996}}

• myonlysunshine
    16 years ago

What an absolutely beautiful plant,yet another one to add to my must have list!

• pontesmanny
    16 years ago

I do not have them but read that they require moist soil (one catalog) and alkaline soil (for laxus var laxus per another catalog). Since I definitely have acidic soil, I have stayed away.

pontesmanny

• hoghaven_duluthmn
    16 years ago

Mine are T. chinensis (Golden Queen) and are planted in somewhat acidic soil and doing well.

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations