Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
linnea56chgo5b

When does Bleeding Heart emerge in Zone 5? Plus siting question

Chicago area. I bought 2 large potted ones last year (the old fashioned kind, Dicentra spectabilis, one pink, one Alba ). Plus I planted a small white bareroot about two years ago, which actually came up and bloomed last spring, to my surprise, considering what an unimpressive thing it was as a single root about as thick as my little finger and twice as long.

I'm making plans for where to put the 6 new bareroot Dicentra spectabilis ones I just bought. The new ones have mostly huge, impressive roots. If the ones planted last spring and the spring before don't make it, then I'd like to plug in one of these. I opened them all up to see if they were dry. None have sprouted, though one of the ones I bought today has a bit of mold on it. Is the moldy one likely to die, and best returned?

The rest will go in a shade bed with ash trees that is mostly hosta, astilbe, and true geraniums later in the season. In early spring it has bulbs and Virginia Bluebells.

How does the height and bloom time of Bleeding Heart compare with Virginia Bluebells?

With these other plants, does this seem like a good environment for bleeding heart? Thanks for the help.

Comments (8)

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    10 years ago

My D spectabilis are just beginning to flower and they are about 2 feet tall. They will be 3 feet by the time they are in full bloom. I find that they get taller if they are under some shade as mine are. They are in with ferns, pulmonaria, bulbs and hellebores. Your situation seems just fine for them.

I don't think the mouldy one will be a problem if the mould is just external. Packaged perennials often get a bit due to the airless and slightly damp atmosphere in the bag.

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    10 years ago

They're not up yet in zone 6, so give them some time. And they are much, much larger than Va. bluebells. However the bluebells will seed all over. Of course, they disappear completely as do other spring ephemerals.

• linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks to you both. Floral_uk, that picture is luscious!

2 to 3 feet tall, that is pretty tall. I have wanted some for so long, that the temptation for the ash tree bed has to put them right down in front. I will resist and put them in the back. The bluebells are in the middle; the bed is about 10 feet deep and 40 feet long. The bluebells are gradually seeding, but not taking over by any means. The foliage disappearing works out okay for that spot. I mostly just wanted those large flowers. If I decide I want some in the front, and persistent foliage, I guess IâÂÂd better get some fern leaf types as well.

Perhaps I should go ahead and plant 4, and just save 2 as the fill ins for the first bed if the potted ones planted there donâÂÂt make it. I am concerned about how long I can keep these bareroot, though. I have them in the cool dark garage.

Laceyvail, do you have both? Bleeding heart and bluebells? If so, do they bloom at more or less the same time?

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

its a soil warmth thing.. and in this case .... rather deep ...

these arent plants with roots just in the first few inches..

they have carrot like taproots that can go down 8 inches or so ...

so for us... i would be looking for them in june ... since we are already a few weeks behind in soil temps ... [its usually right after i presume they are dead... lol]

the real trick.. is not planting anything on top of them ... before they show up ...

ken

• gardenweed_z6a
    10 years ago

My bleeding heart isn't up yet here in Z6a northern CT. According to my garden diary, mine sent up new growth March 21 in 2012 so they're definitely late thanks to our frigid winter.

linnea56 - in my photos I seem to recall them blooming the same time as my Virginia bluebells.

• linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The area the old ones are in is in a protected nook. The Virginia bluebells there are 3 inches high, whereas in the ash tree bed those are just little purple points showing a bit.

I checked today and something is just emerging in 2 of the likely locations. One has reddish leaves, and the other solid light green, which could correspond to the pink bleeding heart and the white. Or, the first one could be purple leaved cimicifuga, though I donâÂÂt think that shows up this early. And the second one could beâ¦umm...something else. :)

I can tell I donâÂÂt want to work, if IâÂÂm trolling the garden looking minutely like this.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    10 years ago

The pink flowered Dicentra/Lamprocapnos spectabilis will come up reddish. Once you've spotted it you'll see it rocket up really fast. I find the white L spectabilis to be much weaker growing. While the pink are flowering now the white isn't even visible yet and I fear it's a goner, yet again.

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    10 years ago

No, bleeding heart and VA bluebells don't bloom at the same time. The bluebells are coming into bloom now and the bleeding heart isn't even up yet.