Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
If you're a tulip nut...

Posted by aachenelf z5 Mpls, MN (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 24, 14 at 22:11

You've got to check this out. (see link)

Rare tulips going back to the 1700's with prices like $19 per bulb. I think I could actually see myself buying some of these at some point and I'm not even a tulip person.

Kevin

Here is a link that might be useful: Tulips

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: If you're a tulip nut...

Hey, thanks for posting this link. These are great.

Don B.

o

Not a nut, but very interesting.

Thanks, Kevin.

o

It amazes me that you can grow something in your garden that has been nurtured along by gardeners for longer than our country has been in existence. $16 seems cheap for a 400 year old antique!
Here's a link to the hortus bulborum, a Dutch living museum for many other old and not so old tulip varieties, all lined out and growing to be enjoyed like they should be. There's a nice online photo library too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Living museum for tulips

o

i enjoyed the book at the link ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

Those are good links. Thanks. I good get lost looking at some of those photos. Talk about gorgeous and in many cases so, so different from what we see available now. I love the brownish colored ones!

Kato - You're correct. The price does seem almost cheap when you think of what you're getting and the history. I have to do some more reading about these, but I'm already suspecting a lot of these tulips might be way more "perennial" than were used to buying. Perhaps they even multiply?

Still, my biggest fear are those %^$& blasted squirrels we have around here. I don't worry about them digging up bulbs, but very often they go on a tulip rampage when they bloom - chewing off all the flowers just as they begin to open. It would be a bummer to invest in some of these and never see them bloom. I guess there's always cages of chicken wire around each one, but that doesn't seem like it would be all that attractive.

Kevin

o

Most of my tulips are grown in my fenced in vegetable garden because of the bud nibblers. Using Liquid Fence does help those few which have survived in the open flower beds. There are a few growing next to the house foundation on the east side which never have any damage and don't get sprayed. Those were planted by the previous owner almost twenty years ago. Perhaps they have lasted because the soil remains quite dry as it is under the soffits.

I grew Black Parrot which disappeared after a couple of years. Didn't replace it.

o

Sorry, duplicate.

This post was edited by mnwsgal on Fri, Apr 25, 14 at 21:04

o

Not a tulip nut, though I do like them. Pity blooms are so short-lived. Enjoyed the link -- it was interesting to see how old some of the lines are.

Kevin, if squirrels are an issue, I have bad news for you ... there's a new, tougher breed "in town" ...................

photo ArmoredSquirrel_zpsfab40413.jpg

o

Paul - Great news! I think ours aren't far behind those.

Kevin

o

It seems all the critters like Tulips - squirrels, deer, chipmunks, voles. I don't care for Tulips all that much, but there are a few pretty ones that the previous owner put in that have survived the shade, Vinca, voles, etc.

If you like tulips there's a few nice photos from Keukenhof in the Netherlands on these 2 threads (on the New England gardening forum).

Where is Spring?

As requested by thyme2dig - more Keukenhof photos

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here