Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Peony Barrington Belle color

Posted by wendyb 5A/MA (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 17, 14 at 22:35

I bought a peony today at the garden center. Judging from the tag it was a Japanese style which I love (no flopping) and the pic color was distinctly pink and a strong pink at that. I was psyched to find what I was looking for early when I am putting together a new bed rather than later in peak bloom season.

However, I just was googling it and half the images come up red and half come up pink. Klehms Songsparrow (peony specialty place) says its red. Songsparrow Barrington Belle

I'm sure the red is nice, but I really want pink.

Does anyone have this plant? Red or Pink? Maybe there is some naming problem with two strains floating around with the same name?

image search

update: the link to the search was broken... note to self: leave off single quotes on cultivar name

This post was edited by wendyb on Fri, Apr 18, 14 at 10:00

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Peony Barrington Belle color

You might get more responses on the Peony Forum (link below). I've never heard of this variety, but that's not saying much since there are so many available out there.

But I have to agree with you. Trying to determine the correct color of any peony online or from a catalog can be a nightmare. The colors just seem to be all over the place. I'm not sure how they manage to do that, but they do.

Good luck

Kevin

Here is a link that might be useful: peony forum

o

"Barrington Belle" was developed by Carl G. Klehm so I would trust the images found at Klehm's Song Sparrow website. Have you considered returning the plant to the garden center?

Here is a link that might be useful: Carl G. Klehm

o

Yeah, I do trust the images at Klehm's, that's what concerns me. I sent the garden center an email asking if I could return it after it blooms if it is not close to the picture. No response as yet.

I think I probably will return it anyhow and just be patient til bloom time and then go shopping. Seems to be much more evidence it is red than pink.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here