Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ornamental kale

Posted by v1rtu0s1ty Zone 5a, Northern IL (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 3, 09 at 22:39

Can they be over wintered? Can they be grown from seed? Or if we buy them big, how do we propagate it?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ornamental kale

Mine over-wintered and are blooming now. You can buy seeds so I'm certain you can save the seeds after they bloom. These will die when temps get too high though. I like them. I didn't expect the yellow blooms.

o

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Sat, Apr 4, 09 at 11:50

Grown as annuals, not perennials. They'll take some very cold temps but they are not going to overwinter in your zone - they are mainly grown for a Fall to early winter display.

Kales do not tolerate summer heat, and plants set out in spring will bolt - start from seed in mid-summer or purchase transplants for a good fall show. Seeds must be sown under cool conditions for seedlings to thrive..... Sow your seeds about 6-10 weeks before the first frost - if you are still having warm temps 6 - 10 weeks before first frost, you may have to use your refrigerator for germination.

o

It should be mentioned that there are ornamental kale varieties that are both good to eat and which make excellent summer foliage displays in the perennial garden.

This site discusses a couple of good varieties, including my favorite, "Redbor" which has deep red-purple frilled foliage, grows to 2 1/2 feet or so and stands hot weather well.
It will overwinter like other kales and flower in spring, but you'll need new plants each year for the foliage display (seed is readily available).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here