Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Reporting gone wrong

Posted by sara82lee 8a (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 11, 14 at 22:44

I have two birds of paradise that I repotted yesterday. The pots they were in had a bit of an awkward shape. One went well, but I had an issue with the other one, and I broke most of the thick roots off to just a few inches long! Did I kill it? Is there anything I can do to help it try to survive?

Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Reporting gone wrong

Hey sara......I checked out ur post to see what kind of "REPORTing" had gone wrong...lol!!!

Oops...!! Rough day and late nite, huh?

Can u edit subjects? (only pointed it out since u may get less replies)

bonnie

o

Oops! I didn't even notice til you pointed that out! I can't edit the subject - maybe I can figure out how to delete it and repost? I'll try to figure it out.

Enjoy this lovely day!

o

I am!! Sent u an email early AM. Haven't got nearly as much done as I wanted. Need to get off here and back outside but asked plant ID question and keep checking for replies so I can plant the darn thing....lol.

You outside too?? Soooo nice. Feet getting thong (flip-flop) sunburn...hahahah!

This post was edited by brit5467 on Sat, Apr 12, 14 at 15:01

o

It's been a long time since I've grown a "Bird", but as I remember these things are pretty tough.

Generally speaking if a plants root system has been compromised (roots chopped off), the leaves are going to suffer because there aren't enough roots to supply them with water. And generally speaking, the solution to that is to remove some of the leaves until the roots have an opportunity to regrow. Without seeing the plant, it's hard for me to judge if this is necessary or not, but keep an eye on the plant. If it starts to look droopy and stays that way, it might to something to consider.

Kevin

o

Kevin,

Thanks for the encouragement! I did trim off a few leaves that already had a bit of damage anyway, so I figured that would clean it up a little and help it survive. I appreciate that advice.

So far I think it's okay. I'm glad to hear you say they're tough. I do feel like it's a little hard to tell since the stems and leaves are so stiff I'm not sure they would really ever look droopy unless they were brown and dead...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here