Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
whaas_5a

Sleeping at the sprayer...

whaas_5a
12 years ago

I must have been dazed and ended up soaking a Salvia in round up...dang it!

My first instinct was to rip away the foliage from the root mass. In hind sight I probably should have watered it right away but it may have taken a couple minutes to get the water to it.

Right move?

Comments (15)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    12 years ago

does you RU has spreader/sticker ??? ... i would have yanked it from the ground.. threw it in a pail.. and gently rubbed it all down .. and then replant it..

and then in august.. wonder why there was a plant missing in august.. lol ...

you were either working too fast.. or too tired ... i often find that i have a limited ability to spray with high concentration for long periods ...

what i tend to do.. to increase speed.. is shoot for about an 80% kill ... because it takes less concentration.. so speed increases..

and then i come back in about 2 weeks ... which is how long it takes for the dead to show such in spring.. and i kill the other 20%.. because i have less to do.. and can maintain the concentration level ...

ken

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    12 years ago

Roundup is absorbed by the foliage, and if you realized your mistake when you did it, simply spraying the foliage immediately with fresh water thoroughly, would probably have saved the plant. Al

• athenainwi
    12 years ago

Yeah, if you spray the plant with a lot of water from a hose then it will recover and be fine. You only have a few minutes though if you're using a good version of roundup. I learned early on that I do not want the fast acting rain-fast version. If I only get one leaf on a good plant then I rip off the leaf, otherwise I run for the hose. This has happened often enough that if I think about it ahead of time then I'll fill up a watering can and have it nearby while I spray.

• whaas_5a
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Is it likely the plant won't resprout since I ripped the foliage off? After the fact when I realized I should have just rinsed it off. Although it was warm and sunny it would have taken at least 2 minutes from me to get water to it

My concentration was off as I was at the tailend of the job and an illness.

Probably lots of people thinking "thats what you get for using round up!"

• denninmi
    12 years ago

Ah, don't listen to the Roundup naysayers. I know, it's controversial, and it's probably dramatically overused in agriculture, but it sure is a great help in the yard.

I suspect if WILL resprout, and rather quickly. I bet it will survive.

And hey, been there, done that, so don't feel bad, it happens to all of us at some point. Accidents happen.

• wieslaw59
    12 years ago

I have a comment to the comment above: Recent research carried out by Danish scientists PROVED, that Round up is NOT BROKEN DOWN in the soil fast enough and ends up in the drinking water. How many times we have heard it before? Anyone recalls DDT, among others? Freon from the freezers? They all were supposed be so 'innocent' to start with. Why do you think so many men in the world have problems with their sperm quality? All the stuff you put into the soil, it does not disappear as by magic. It only disappears on the labels from the producers, but not in reality.

• whaas_5a
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I don't want to start a debate but I'd suggest prefacing the "and ends up in the drinking water" with it "can" end up in drinking water depending on many many variables.

• wieslaw59
    12 years ago

'Can' is not an adequate word here at all in my opinion. I'm not a native speaker but it sounds all too weak for me in reference to this. If something DID HAPPEN in trials, then 'can' is no longer relevant, it gives you a false feeling of security.

• Marie Tulin
    12 years ago

there's absolutely nothing wrong with your english, nor are you missing any subtlies.

• whaas_5a
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I just wanted to draw the line between an absolute and an instance that depends on certain variables.

Because DDT is in the soil doesn't mean it "will" get in the drinking water. Therefore it "can" get in drinking water.

I'm going to go pound sand now, lol.

• gardenfanatic2003
    12 years ago

RU isn't in the water supply because you sprayed it on some dandelions in your garden. It got in the water supply because Monsanto developed plants that were resistant to RU so entire fields could be sprayed en masse, thereby killing the weeds but not killing the crops. THAT'S how RU ended up in the water supply.

Thanks Monsanto! Appreciate it!

Deanna

• terrene
    12 years ago

I think the substances that are causing male fish to grow female sex organs and compromise human male sperm counts are the endocrine disrupters - stuff like BPA, which mimic the human hormones, as well as the enormous amount of reproductive hormones used by women who are on birth control or hormone replacement therapy, as well those used for livestock farming.

That is not to make any comment about potential damage caused by Roundup use. I use it extremely sparingly, not in my gardens which are organic (SCUFFLE HOE), but for infestations of certain invasive plants. There are thousands of garlic mustard seedlings along a fence up at my rental house, and I will be using a light spray of Roundup for those.

12 years ago

see what you started will ..

all these peeps who preface it all by saying they dont want to argue about it.. and then go argue about it ...

you were pushing your ability to concentrate sufficient to get the job done .. try to stop a few minutes sooner next time.. eh ..

enough said

ken

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    12 years ago

The majority of grape growers here in the Napa Valley use roundup for the in row weeds around the vines, where mechanical weeding is difficult. Anyone ready to give up wine, just in case? Al

12 years ago

one thing i meant to tell you..

the stuff will last.. in mixed form.. in the garage.. for at least a week ...

so when you start to lose focus.. just put it away ... and with the babe.. release the pressure ...

also ... instead of trying to go anal.. and doing it all... simply target one half... do the rest the next day ... or later ...

you know i speak of my pastures.. north.. south.. middle ... i just target one pasture for any given tank ... do the edges fast.. and hit the big stuff ... and work at speed ... and let it go for a few days.. until i start to see the dullness ... or yellowing ...

then the next day .... do a different pasture ...

in the mean time.. the tiny stuff.. grows a bit.. so next week.. when i head back to the original pasture.. its take less concentration to hit the closer stuff.. and because i got rid of the great mass.. i can work slower.. with higher concentration ...

ken