Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mystereons41_gw

When should these perennials sprout?

mystereons41
9 years ago

Hello,

So yesterday I posted a question about whether my delphinium should have sprouted yet (unfortunately I think it is a goner). Upon further investigation of the garden, I have a number of other questionable perennials that I am not sure are coming back.

So my question is, when do the following normally sprout:

1. Guara (Pink fountain)

2. Starburst Ice Plant (These are supposed to be hardy in Zone 5, but I read they may die if they have wet feet over the winter)

3. Agastache (hybrida 'Kiegador')

4. Vinca major 'variegata' (I originally thought this would be hardy in Zone 5, but after reading online I think it may only be Zone 6 or higher. Anyone had luck with it returning in Zone 5?)

Thanks!

Comments (7)

• princessgrace79
    9 years ago

I'm zone 8 so keep that in mind, but we generally have a cold/wet spring so maybe is helpful for you. My gaura (guara?) and agastache is growing (gaura is over a foot tall)...ice plant I have nothing. They were small starts so I hope they lived....I had read that some were evergreen for me so I'm not hopeful.

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    9 years ago

If by "Starburst ice plant" you mean a Delosperma, I lost all mine last winter here in zone 6 with very fast draining sandy soil. Your Agastache sounds like one of the western hybrids; the only one of mine that made it was A. 'Desert Solstice'.

• gardenweed_z6a
    9 years ago

My Gaura lindheimeri/wand flower came up sometime in May last year but didn't start blooming until quite a bit later in the growing season (July if I recall). Agastache foeniculum has been up for a couple of weeks already this season.

Sorry--I don't grow either the ice plant or vinca.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

if you had snow cover.. low temps are near irrelevant as snow is one of the greatest insulators ...

and if that were the fact ... i would look more towards the stock you bought [as in late season bargains] ....

or how you planted them ...

or if you fertilized them.. too late in the year ...

though we all expect losses .... on some level.. you seem to have a lot of losses ... and though it was a horrible winter ... perhaps you should be looking beyond such ... i dont know ...

ken

• mystereons41
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi all,

Thanks for the input!

I don't think I fertilized too late in the year and there was a lot of snow cover, especially from late Feb. to late March. Though there was a lot of very cold weather in January with inconsistent snow cover.

However, I am wondering, if I have these perennials planted in a raised bed, could that be providing less frost protection?

• ryseryse_2004
    9 years ago

I am in Z5a and my delphiniums have been up for about 2 weeks - they are currently from one to four feet tall so yours should at least be poking through.

I agree with Ken - that wonderful deep snow cover that lasted from Nov. through March was great protection for everything. I had some winter damage to my Junipers but nothing else. In fact, I have lots of mum plants that are coming back like gang-busters. First time for that!

• david883
    9 years ago

My agastache is springing up in one area but very slow to start in another (shadier).
    In that same shadier area I have gaura mariposa (midnight pink) and they haven't shown any sign of life. I did move them a little last fall and they didn't quite seem to perk back up to normal. I need to drive around the neighborhood - one of my neighbors has a HUGE mass of gaura in the front of their house that I'm just envious of.

Best of luck - my fingers are crossed for you!