Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ispahan

Who grows Geum 'Totally Tangerine'?

I planted several of these early last spring. They grew well and even multiplied some, seemingly unaffected by heat, drought, erratic hose watering, and a long, horrible winter with almost weekly freeze-thaw cycles and no snow cover.

But all last season none of them ever bloomed. Not even a single flower.

Will these bloom this year? Do they just need a season to settle in?

Please tell me about your experiences with this plant! Is it really as great as plant catalogues advertise?

Comments (13)

• rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a)
    10 years ago

Yes ispahan. It does appear that these geums are very hardy. Even in my zone 5 my "Totally Tangerine" stay almost evergreen (albeit it is closer to the foundation of our home).

The first season I planted it it did thrive but did not flower. It flowered profusely in May its second season.

Here it is from May 2012.

{{gwi:214771}}

But I was under the impression that it would flower to some degree during the summer. But for me this did not happen. Last year the flowering was done well before the official start of summer.

This post was edited by rouge21 on Fri, Apr 19, 13 at 15:26

• Wayne Reibold
    10 years ago

Ditto for me, planted last early summer, no blooming, made it through winter well, hoping they bloom this year...

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    10 years ago

I probably shouldn't even respond to this since I haven't grown that particular cultivar but...

...I have tried around 15 different Geums over the years. It could very well be that you need to give it some time to establish. Another thing could be you planted them a smidge too deep. They don't seem too keen on that.

If they were established plants I would suggest dividing (Geums are notorious for needing periodic dividing to keep them vigorous and floriferous), but it is obviously too soon for that ;-)
    CMK

• Campanula UK Z8
    10 years ago

Have just bought it after it was EVERYWHERE last year.
    Have had a dismal time with G.rivale but the chiloense types seem altogether sturdier (but lacking the subtle understated grace of water avens).

It is probably just as well they are a bit iffy as I could easily fall into serious geum addiction........

• Patty W. zone 5a Illinois
    10 years ago

Mine died this winter of rot. It it's first and second years it flowered quite well. Once it was finished flowering thou it didn't re-flower at all. I believe it was to wet where it was to survive winter. Another problem I had with it was how tight the foliage was. There were always slugs and snails hiding in the foliage keeping area around the crown constantly slimy. Maybe if I had divided in year two I could have kept it going or perhaps cut foliage back further than I did not sure what went wrong. Was wondering if anyone else had rotting problems with geum. Oh and I did get one baby clone.

• rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a)
    10 years ago

And the 'latest and greatest' geum is "Firestorm" from Terra Nova.

Here is a link that might be useful: Firestorm

• Wayne Reibold
    10 years ago

I just bought one of those yesterday at a local nursery, it's about 8" tall and has buds on it :) I have two Totally Tangerine ones I planted from last summer so this will be the third one...

10 years ago

-campanula, you should try Geum rivale 'Flames of Passion'. Probably has some coccineum or chiloense in its blood too. It was a chance discovery by Piet Oudolf I believe. Such a floriferous and robust plant! One of my favorites. It doesn't have the subtle charm of the single rivale flowers, but it does have those nice dark/arching stems. Sorry about the crap pic...

{{gwi:214773}}

CMK

• Campanula UK Z8
    10 years ago

Mmmm, maybe geum x intermedium.

Naughty, naughty, CMK, I am on dangerous ground again, Plants Anonymous, 12 stepping all the way.....

• Wayne Reibold
    10 years ago

Re: my post about 4/19, I spoke too soon, just looked at one of my Totally Tangerine Geums I planted last summer that were tiny and didn't surprise me that they didn't bloom, one of them has multiple buds right now :)

• coolplantsguy
    10 years ago

Planted one several years ago -- no problems since -- a large clump that is covered with flowers in late spring and sporadic re-bloom.

• arisonn
    10 years ago

christinmk, I'm wondering if you'd be willing to comment more on your favorite geums and the 15 you've tried. I'm trying to pick a few to trial next year. Some I'm considering: Alabama Slammer, Fireball, Mango Lassi, Mai Tai and Tequila Sunrise. I'd love to hear about your experience with these or any others.

10 years ago

-arisonn, sure thing! I'll start a new post on my Geum findings so not to hijack this one. Look for it soon ((as soon as I get a second cup of coffee in me so I can write a halfway intelligent sentence, LOL!!)).
    CMK

Sponsored
Native Plant Scapes
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
Your Friendly Native Plant Landscape Designers in Loudoun County