Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ice melt killing boxwoods

Posted by babera 5a (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 15, 14 at 23:33

Due to the 100+ inches of snow we got this winter, we had to use ice melt a few times. I was careful not to get it in the flower bed that flanks the driveway, however I think my husband may have. Either him or the snow blower. My boxwoods were looking yellow so I trimmed them thinking they may have had broken branches from the weight of the snow, they are still continuing to turn yellow. There is some (a lot) of green but no new growth which I don't expect for a while yet.

I did give them a good soaking last week before I realized what the culprit might be. There are perennials in the same bed and none of them seem to be bothered, but they do set further away. Is this what happens when ice melt comes in contact with plants? Is there anything I can do?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ice melt killing boxwoods

some of mine in the front are yellowing on the top (they, too, were buried completely under snow for a few months) but I'm still waiting. Here it was in the 50s, 60s and even 70s the last two weeks but yesterday we got 32° and 2inches of snow. Today its going to have a low of 24° or something. I'm hoping once we have spring/summer really starting they'll re-green. The link below says some yellowing is normal but... we'll see. This winter was a monster compared to the one we had last year!

Here is a link that might be useful: yellowing boxwoods

o

ice melt is water.. i dont understand what you are talking about ...

about half of my 5 acres garden has non-normal browning ... caused by an extreme winter ...

without a pic.. i dont know how to help you ...

the future is in the buds.. and you give no info regarding the viability of such ...

spring is extremely late this year ... in reality .. rather than by the calender... and you are very early.. in most of z5 .... to be worrying ... crikey it was 18 degrees in my z5 last night ...

ken

o

Ken

"Ice Melt" is a salt-type product used for melting ice and snow.

Kevin

o

I never use any salt product for icy surfaces. I get a 5 gallon bucket of sand and leave it in the front entryway all winter and use that on the steps and walkway when it's icy. It seems to work fine to us.

o

i figured as much ... but thats not actually what she said ...

regardless.. there have been dozens of post on browning boxwoods in the last few weeks..

for her to jump to some conclusion.. other than a bad winter is a bit premature.. dont you think ...

you wait until it buds out.. then figure out what is dead.. IF ANY OF IT ..

and then if its COMPLETELY dead .. then maybe the ice melt was the cause... or the z4 winter we had in much of z5 [she doesnt mention where in z5 she is] .. or last years drought.. or improper planting... or too much ferting ...

i am thinking she is on a tear to blame hubby .. and i dont think she can make that leap yet ... maybe.. but not yet ...

ken

o
re: btw

perhaps the reason she missed all the other posts.. is that she posted this in the perennial forum..

but boxwood is a shrub ... and i bet that forum is where all the other posts are ...

good luck babera ..

ken

o

I am in South Central Montana, Billings. . . sorry to bother you here, I will go to the forum I need to be. . . and for the record ken. . . NO. . .I am not trying to blame my husband for anything. . . just looking for some helpful advise. . .

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here