Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hostaholic2

Winter Won't Leave

We have a winter storm warning for tomorrow thru Thursday. Since they don't know just when the rain will change over to snow they are covering their bases and predicting anywhere from 3 to 12 inches of snow. Sigh!

Comments (16)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

think of april snow.. which is usually quick to melt..

as gently applied deep watering ... which cant hurt anything...

[but for the heavy wet stuff... that collapses arbs.. lol] ...

ken

• aviastar 7A Virginia
    10 years ago

Courage! Our winter went from lows in the 20's to highs in the 80's literally overnight just this week. One last snow does not mean Spring is not riding in on it's back!

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    10 years ago

I'm not going to complain anymore. I am not happy about it, but what can one do? 6-8 inches expected here in the metro area and no warm-up in sight. At least I'm happy I didn't start my tomato plants early or I would have huge, leggy monsters. Luckily they just germinated last week.

I inspected my raised bed the other day thinking maybe I could start planting the cool weather veggies, but the soil is still really soggy. I guess that's to be expected since the snow only disappeared from it last week.

I wonder how all this is affecting the mail order companies? I just pray I don't receive some huge box in the mail anything soon.

The scilla are only first appearing above ground. No crocus, or daffs or tulips in sight.

Kevin

• wieslaw59
    10 years ago

Easter is normally the most busy day of the year in nurseries here in Denmark. This year they were totally empty (everything deep frozen)

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    10 years ago

Probably the coldest spring I've experienced here in zone 3, other than the days being much longer, it virtually remains feeling like the dead of winter with nearly 2 ft of snow still covering most of my yard. Generally, by this time of the year, we'll have the occasional day warm enough to generate the first thunderstorm of the season and even have those pesky big momma mosquitoes come out to irritate me while I do garden clean up in the spring warmth. Yes, being this far north, temperatures and conditions will fluctuate severely, though this year the pendulum has stuck in winter mode. The ponds and lakes remain solidly frozen and the long range forecast continues to call for temperatures well below normal as the arctic outflow continue on and on. I'm gonna now email to have my mid April rose order delayed.

Terrance

• terrene
    10 years ago

Sorry to hear about you guys in the seriously cold zones having more snow. Zone 5 is cold enough! Ken does have a good point though, the spring snow will be wonderful moisture for the vegetation.

Spring has been late this year, perhaps 1 - 1.5 weeks late. The snow has finally pretty much melted here, and the past week has been warming up. It finally feels like spring is here. First 2 daffodils blooming today, along the house foundation on the southwest corner. :)

Hope Spring comes soon for you!

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    10 years ago

Terrance, two feet of snow still on the ground??!!! Zone 3, in Canada, right? That has to be hard to take. My sympathies!

I believe that what I've read about global warming, is that the weather as a result, would be more extreme and unpredictable, rather than just warmer as many people think. The spring season is so necessary for growing any cool season crops in our area. I wonder how that will work out. Either it's too cold or too hot. You can plan on using a hoop house to warm things up but I can't think of what you could do to produce 'spring like' weather.

I probably could have put the spinach and pea seeds in last week, but I haven't so far. Now I'm wondering if when I finally do put them in, if it's going to get too warm for them too quickly?

It is really dry in my garden. And as I drive by bodies of water locally, they seem low to me. We did have a fair amount of snow this year, but I wonder how much actual inches of water that equals? I was always surprised to see that it takes about 10 inches of snow to equal an inch of rain on average.

I would just love a good soaking rain. But a foot of snow to get an inch of water? No, that wouldn't go over too well here.

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    10 years ago

Yea, the rain is a good thing (April showers bring May flowers and all...) but it's so grey and depressing, just a cr*ppy day now that the rain has really started coming down. I'm cranky and blue and pessimistic today, it's got to be due to the weather, I'm not usually like this. BAH!

• tepelus
    10 years ago

I keep watching the weather for both here in Michigan and down in NW Ohio where all of my plants are, and up until this past week we have had roughly the same cold weather, but now they are seeing temps in the sixties and seventies, and we're still in the forties and fifties. My plants down there are going to start breaking dormancy soon and it's still cold up here. I plan on going to get them at the end of April, so I hope we warm up by then in time to haul my 300+ plants up here. The plan was to dig them up as they are breaking dormancy but before they get too far along. Hostas are a pain to move leafed out, and I have lots of them (which I hope to have enough room for) and daylilies can just have their foliage cut back and they'll grow it right back again. It needs to either warm up up here or get cold again down there to delay the plants from growing (they're usually two weeks ahead compared to up here). At least they haven't had a lot of rain down there to flood the yard, cuz if that happens, I'll be digging out plants underwater.

Karen

• funnthsun z7A - Southern VA
    10 years ago

I should put a thread up that says "Spring has left the building". We went from frost nights to 80 degree days in just a handful of days. Uh, what just happened here? We had exactly one week of Spring weather, now I'm melting. My poor new plants have had exactly 3 days to establish themselves before having to battle summer heat. This is the strangest weather year I can remember. I really hope it cools back off for a while, cause I'm not ready for summer yet!

• Patty W. zone 5a Illinois
    10 years ago

I realize there are some excellent benefits from the snows and spring will come. More likely we'll skip spring and move right into summer. We only have fairly consistently very chilly temps. Those of you who are suffering snow storms, well all I can say is enough already turn it off.

• hostaholic2 z 4, MN
    Original Author
    10 years ago

"think of april snow.. which is usually quick to melt..
    as gently applied deep watering ... which cant hurt anything..."

That would be great if the ground was thawed and the moisture could soak in. 8 inches of gently applied, I mean wind whipped white stuff on the ground this morning. "They" say to expect another 2 to 3 inches.

• funnthsun z7A - Southern VA
    10 years ago

Oh my gosh! And we are practically boiling in NC. So, where's the nice medium between zone 4-5 and 7? You zone 6ers must be having a great Spring!

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    10 years ago

In my part of the great frozen state, I think this snowfall is actually going to soak in and do a lot of good since the ground is at least partially thawed. Oh my Lord, was this stuff heavy to shovel! Just like nice, thick unset concrete. No temps above the 40's forecast for the next 8 days at least.

Kevin

• sunnyborders
    10 years ago

Yesterday there was almost no snow, or ice, on the flower beds.

Today, below:
    I think those early crocuses are 'Vanguard'.

• hostaholic2 z 4, MN
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Another three inches of concrete to move this morning and if "they" are correct we should expect more Sat. night into Sunday.

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner