9 years ago

crambe cordifolia

• davids10 z7a nv.
    Original Author
    9 years ago

hydrangea petiolaris

• mnwsgal
    9 years ago

Nice to see someone else growing crambe. Last fall I divided my plant to add two more to my long border. Enjoying your lush gardens. Here the blooming has begun with something new to see each day.

• pam_whitbyon
    9 years ago

Gorgeous garden. I love that pathway, David... do you have any more pics of it, and the other side? :)

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    9 years ago

My P. polymorpha certainly doesn't "spread fast'. In fact, it's been the same size for years. And mine is much, much taller. Right now, after a very late start this spring, it's almost 6 feet tall. Usually, it bushes out to almost 12 feet diameter. Perhaps that what you meant by "spreads fast'?

• shadeyplace
    9 years ago

It spreads fast but as David said it is a great plant. One of Wolfgang Oehme's favorites. I do not have it however. something to think about. does it have to have full sun?

• Nevermore44 - 6a
    9 years ago

persicaria polymorpha.... added to the list!... it looks great

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    9 years ago

Persicaria polymorpha another plant I've never grown. Looks like a great plant for back of border or where you want a bit of hight. It's going on my 'must look for list'. I've never grown Crambe either, where have I been????
    David I love the way you mix color and texture.

Annette

• davids10 z7a nv.
    Original Author
    9 years ago

by spread fast i mean the clump gets very much bigger-i reduce it by 75% every 2 years. must be the perspective this one is 6 ft which is about its maximum-will tolerate some shade-this one only gets half a days sun

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    9 years ago

I liked the look of the persicaria, but I couldn't take the smell if the flowers. Had to remove both of my huge plants. Some people like the smell. I thought it smelled like dead mice. Seriously thought I had a bunch of dead mice in my shed rotting away until I realized it was the plant! I've heard others don't find the smell one bit offensive.

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    9 years ago

In all the years I've had this plant--well over 10, I've never had to reduce the size of the footprint. And I have light sandy soil where anything that can travel, does. I'm baffled.

• TulsaRose
    9 years ago

Thanks for sharing the pictures of your beautiful Garden of Eden, David. Now I will go out and throw rocks at my pitiful flowerbeds. lol!

Seriously...you have done a stunning job. The upkeep must be time-consuming, to say the least.

Note to self: order Persicaria polymorpha immediately!

• thrills
    9 years ago

My fall planted persicaria is only about 12 inches high and it is starting to send out short flower buds. Really curious to see how large it gries this year in my amended clay soil. I had a hard time finding it and ended up getting it from arrowhead alpines. I think lazy s carries it as well.

• gardengirl_17
    9 years ago

Persicaria polymorpha did fabulous for me for a few years but lately seems to struggle. I have a small piece I may try to salvage and replant. I'm not sure why it suddenly became unhappy. Do you know a good mail order source? I'd like to try another one.