Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
linnea56chgo5b

Source bare root white bleeding heart?

I have wanted white bleeding heart for a long time. The Dicentra spectabilis alba kind, not the fern leaf kinds that have smaller flowers. I found a couple of bare root ones at a garden show a few years back. I thought that would be a solution til I found a larger potted one. The bareroots were tiny things but they lived. I know it will be a long time before they put on much of a show, though.

Then last summer I found a large potted white one at an out of state garden center. I was thrilled. But the big potted one did not survive. Then I remembered, I have bought other ones potted (the regular pink and white spectabilis ), and none of those survived either. Whereas the two white that were planted in the same bed as bareroots survived the winter and are up now.

So perhaps bareroot is the way to go. As long as they are not tiny pathetic things like what I got before. I bought a bareroot regular pink and white at Wal-Mart this year, and it was so big and healthy I went back for more. But I have never seen white at a store.

Does anyone know of a good source for bareroot plants? I am also looking for white trillium. Thanks for your help.

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner