Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rescued Peony's

Posted by jennypat Zone 3b NW MN (My Page) on
Mon, May 27, 13 at 0:14

So my friend and I were walking along a local river, we came across an old homestead, the house has been gone for over 20 years (as long as I have lived here) when we came across 2 sad looking peony's. Now the trees are all grown up mature, and these poor plants have been struggling in the shade for who knows how long.
We decided to rescue them and see what we get. Did we do wrong? The land is now public domain, and these were not wildflowers. We left the wild violets, the jack in the pulpits and a few more we could identify.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rescued Peony's

I don't think anyone would object to your taking a garden flower from the wild. It is the natural native wild flowers that you must leave alone because in many cases they are protected. However no one objects if you take seeds.

I did much the same with daffodils years ago. Out walking I found a bunch of them growing surrounded by tall grass so I dug some of them out and they have graced my garden ever since

o

That's what we thought. Some of the roots were so small we decided to put them into pots and try to grow them up a bit before planting out. They were about as big around and my finger, so far they look good.

o

Doweling gram,
I think in the case of protected wildflowers you are not allowed to take the seed or any other part of the plant. In order for those flowers to survive, they need to be able to drop those seeds and reproduce. Also, the native wildlife depends on seeds from native plants for winter sustainance. I can't say I would personally object to someone collecting a few seeds at the same time they dropped some of those seeds onto some likely nearby soil. But, I think legally they should be left entirely alone.

Martha

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here