Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
terrycinor

plants that deter bugs

terrycinor
15 years ago

Hi all does anyone have any suggestions on some plants that might ward off bugs? We rent but I don't mind planting something perennial, we have a porch that is open underneath and it tends to attract bugs. I know marigolds might work but I was thinking more along the lines of a perennial, maybe mint, lavendar something like that. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Terry in southern oregon

Comments (8)

• duluthinbloomz4
    15 years ago

Bugs are everywhere whether plant material is available or not. But anything that puts out a bloom might attract a butterfly, a bee, a beetle; plants with no blooms may attract spiders, aphids, leaf hoppers, ladybugs - in other words, plants attract insects of some kind because the insects need to eat and the plants often rely on insects for pollination.

Maybe it would be easier to screen in the porch.

• terrycinor
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks I understand that, and I don't mind bees and the like but it's a haven for spiders and screening it off wouldn't really help what it really needs is to be completely sealed off so it isn't so open but that's not an option costs to much and we rent so I thought a good alternative would be plants as a barrier.

Terry

• duluthinbloomz4
    15 years ago

No, plants will never be a barrier to bugs. You can spray any of the bug killers in corners which might be a temporary deterrant, sweep away spider webs, knock down hornet nests, etc. but you'll always get flies, gnats, mosquitos, ants, and more spiders in an open area like a porch. I sympathize if someone has extreme fear or allergies - but if that's the case you probably already know the protocols.

• jayco
    15 years ago

Spiders eat other insects like flies and mosquitoes. They won't bite you unless you step on them. In my book that makes them good bugs to have around.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    15 years ago

Marigolds don't repel those critters, sorry. And there aren't any other repellent plants, either.

• mareas
    15 years ago

Well, Terri, I've found that the strongly fragrant plants DO help some: chives, mints, pennyroyal, citronella, lavender etc.
    But haven't found any plants to deter spiders.
    WD-40 works great to kill spiders & makes rock work look beautiful. I kept it on my porch for those pesky black widows in SO.OR.
    It seems to me that the plants that do not get attacked much (California poppies, marigolds, violas..) extend their protection some to
    the area around them. ~marea

• duluthinbloomz4
    15 years ago

Guess we can split hairs here all day - and I don't think the OP cared if a plant got attacked by bugs as long as it protected the OP.

I did find a list compiled by someone who seemed to know something. Note, however, that these plants were found, by this person, to not be attacked by certain bugs but were not immune from attack by others. Like humans, bugs have their preferences too. If an ant doesn't like pennyroyal, the ant might still like to crawl across your shoe.

Ants: pennyroyal, spearmint, southernwood, tansy
    Aphids: garlic, chives and other alliums, coriander, anise: nasturtium and petunia around fruit trees
    Borer: garlic, onion, tansy
    Cabbage moth: mint, hyssop, rosemary, southernwood, thyme, sage, wormwood, celery, catnip, nasturtium
    Colorado potato beetle: green beans, horseradish, dead nettle, flax, catnip, coriander, tansy, nasturtium
    Cucumber beetle: tansy, radish
    Cutworm: tansy
    Flea beetle: wormwood, mint, catnip, interplant cole crops with tomato
    Japanese beetle: garlic, larkspur, tansy, rue, white geranium
    Leafhopper: petunia, geranium
    Mexican bean beetle: marigold, potato, rosemary, savory, petunia
    Mites: onion, garlic, chives
    Nematodes: marigold, salvia, dahlia, calendula, asparagus
    Rose chafer: geranium, petunia, onion
    Slug: prostrate rosemary, wormwood
    Squash bug tansy, nasturtium, catnip
    Tomato hornworm: borage, marigold, opal basal
    Whitefly: nasturtium, marigold

Insects are our friends - would be a barren world if they didn't eat harmful pests, pollinate our food crops and flowers.

• terrycinor
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks all but I guess I'm not painting a good picture, don't get me wrong I'm not afraid of spiders and bugs and creepy crawlies but when you walk across the grass and it's moving because all of the spiders that is a bit to much. We have sprayed and that's also a problem because sprays do not always distinguish between "good and bad" bugs the porch is elevated and it's underneath that is the problem.