Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bloodroot again

Posted by mxk3 z5b/6 MI (My Page) on
Sun, May 22, 11 at 0:16

Remember my recent bloodroot post - the one about what the heck happened to them, they didn't return?

Well, today I was out there digging some holes to plant Anemone sylvestris (to fill in the empty space left by the bloodroot) and what do I find? Yep - bloodroot rhizomes. There's no mistaking them - they're orangey-red on the inside. So that kills the theory that the voles got to them.

Now, these rhizomes had no roots and no buds, but they were plump and moist - what gives with that?!

Eh, I replanted them - I already chalked them up as a loss so figure hey if they ever do grow again it'll be a nice surprise :0)

I sure hope my other drifts don't pull the magical disappearing act, I really do love me some bloodroot.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bloodroot again

Mine that I planted last year haven't come up either. Maybe I will look to see if the rhizomes are still there.

o

I saw your earlier post and realized that an old established clump of mine also had not emerged.
But it did finally emerge, several weeks after bloodroot in other spots had finished blooming.
Is it possible that yours came up and bloomed and is already dormant again?

o

• Posted by mxk3 z5b/6 MI (My Page) on
    Sun, May 22, 11 at 22:51

Nope, it's directly in front of the picture window - I definitely would have seen it.

o

That is really weird. Maybe I'll start rooting around in the area of the big clumps that I lost this year to see what I find.

o

The third time was the charm. I finally got some to winter over. Not only that but I think there are 2 dozen babies. What do the seedlings look like? Like a tiny lily pad? Should I just let them mature in place and move them this fall or next spring when they've got bigger root systems? (I'd only move a few because they are right on top of each other.) I don't want to pot them up now, because I'm not good at keeping on top of watering little pots, and they're going to go dormant soon enough. I just need to put a tag there to remind myself there's not really an empty space to stuff something else.

Sorry, I hijacked this thread. Please excuse.

Marie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here