Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenmom360

Does anyone like Lambs Ears?

gardenmom
12 years ago

I have tried moving lambs ears to different locations in several perennial beds. I don't like them anywhere. They look OK for a while, but then get crowded and spread everywhere.

Should they be trimmed back during the summer?

Or should I just pull them all out?

Does anyone have them in a mixed bed? With what other plants and how do you control them?

Comments (30)

• terrene
    12 years ago

I got rid of mine too. It still seeds here and there, but I pull them up. The blooms are kinda pretty, the foliage is soft and fuzzy, and it's an unusual color. But I don't care for the shape or color of the foliage - doesn't work with anything in my gardens.

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    12 years ago

It's a magnificent foliage plant, supplying texture to a mixed planting. I don't like the flowers so I grow the type that rarely flowers known as "Big ears' or Helen Von Stein'. This variety is also much less likely to "mug" out in humid climates. It does spread, but in late fall or spring, I dig out sections of it.

• echinaceamaniac
    12 years ago

Love them. To each their own.

• sharoncl
    12 years ago

I like lamb's ears, especially Helen Von Stein. When she spreads out too far, I just rip sections out. I tend to plant her with roses, purple flowers, and variegated foliage.

• franeli
    12 years ago

I like lamb's ears,too. I have 'New Century'; no blooms,slow to spread in my zone,and I like the look of them in front of purple,blue,magenta and green.
    They really soften the hardscape, providing a nice border next to the bluestone path even after snow melt in spring.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    12 years ago

Agree these get ratty-looking but I've seen butterflies and hummingbird moths visiting the flowers when I lived in OH. That made it a keeper for me - maybe stick it behind a bush or provide a little hoop stake?

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    12 years ago

I love them but only the ones in full sun.

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    12 years ago

I have Helene von Stein (aka Big Ears) - never gets ratty looking during the season. Terrific foliage effect - fuzzy, silvery leaves set off other plants beautifully as well as flowers (my favorite pairing is heliotrope with lamb's ears).

I prefer the Big Ears over the narrow-leaved lamb's ear varieties. Helene has wider, "silvery-ier" foliage and rarely flowers, which is a good thing because lamb's ears flowers are u-g-l-y as far as I'm concerned.

This plant needs hot, full sun and drier soil to look it's best as well as a good trim in the spring to remove decaying growth (just like other perennials...).

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    12 years ago

I don't have any in my garden at present but I'm another who really likes this plant. I lost my Primrose Heron one winter and haven't been able to replace it. Does anyone know of an online source for this variety in Canada?

Annette

• jennypat Zone 3b NW MN
    12 years ago

I had them in my front garden years ago, got mad when they took over the bed, and ripped them out. This was at least 6 or 7 years ago. This year I have it popping up again in 2 separate spots. I might let it be this year.

• buyorsell888
    12 years ago

I ripped mine out after a couple of years because the flowers are ugly and they seed all over and rot out in the middle. Love to pet the leaves though. I'm still digging seedlings out five years later....

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    12 years ago

Another person who doesn't like this plant. I put it, along with a couple of other spreading perennials, on a steep bank to hold soil. It would have been OK if it stayed in the bed, but it has spread into the grass. I might like the varieties that don't flower and so won't seed around, but the one I have it a pain since like several others I am still pulling it out several years after ripping out all I could find.

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    12 years ago

I like it, not for itself, but for what it does for the other plants in the bed. It is the frame that makes the picture stand out. Pull them out and put them in as needed, they are expendable. Al

• pam_whitbyon
    12 years ago

I love it and find it easy to control in my garden. I've also discovered it's the one and only plant that generates any interest with my children, and now my grandchild (2 and a half) is also very drawn to the garden after spending time petting lambs ears :) (or as he says, "wams eez")

I dont keep the flowers around too long but they look really nice as cut flowers in a vase if you're looking for something not too traditional!

• linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
    12 years ago

I liked the color, but its invasiveness was just too much. Year after I pulled it all out, I still find babies popping up. So the seeds must be able to live for a very long time.

So, Helene von Stein is more silvery? I thought it looked more grey than usual lambs ears?

• v1rt
    12 years ago

I have lamb's ear and 2 years old now. Mound is about 2 ft in diameter. Should I divide it?

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    12 years ago

Only if you want more of it somewhere else or don't want that clump to get bigger.

• echinaceamaniac
    12 years ago

We complain when flowers don't come back, yet we have a nice silvery, unique plant here that adds so much interest and contrast. Yet, some complain about it growing. These are so easy to rip out. Gardening requires a little work. If Lamb's Ear is too much work for you, take up another hobby. You are not cut out for this if Lamb's Ear is too much bother for you.

• Kiskin
    12 years ago

I love Lambôs Ears and have them in a mixed bed. They are quite manageable for me. I love combining them with purple-leaved plants like heucheras and sedum Purple Emperor as well as purple-stemmed salvia nemorosa Caradonna.

A lovely little plant.

• bendelep_msn_com
    12 years ago

I have them in several places for the color contrast. They look great against the base of purple smoke bush, and I grow them right under Austrian pines where they brighten things up. I think the flowers are beautiful until they get too heavy and flop over. This year I went after them with giant shears and ripped a lot of growth out. i thought I had killed a lot of the plants, but they are back after a couple weeks looking really nice again (like the beginning of the season). I love the texture and can't resist them. (Neither can my kids).

• Astralhunter
    11 years ago

I HATE it. It is as invasive as bishop's lace. And ugly when blossoms. Only if you have a trench bordered with brick wall deep for 6 feet, you may consider to plant it there. And it is better to be in a desert otherwise it will self seed EVERYWHERE. Literally.

• eclecticcottage
    11 years ago

I don't...I don't like Dusty Miller either. I don't like the foliage color, it usually gets ratty looking here and it never seems to "gel" with surrounding plants to me. I've never planted it, but I have yet to see it in a bed and think "wow, that looks great".

• socks
    11 years ago

I've never grown it but it would be nice to have a small patch for my grandkids to enjoy. So soft!

• a2zmom_Z6_NJ
    11 years ago

As previously mentioned, the cultivar 'Helen Von Stein' (also known as 'Big Ears') rarely flowers and has no issues with humidity. I planted a small start in a tiny garden (around 4' by 6') back in 2001.

Since then, it has flowered once, never been divided, has increased but not excessively (my dianthus has spread much more agressively) and has never needed or received any special care. I am finally going to dig some up this fall to cut it back a bit.
    I find it especially lovely with blue-purple flowered plants.

Here it is in May 2005:
    {{gwi:215409}}

And here is the same garden in May 2011. You can see that the plant has grown, but not to any crazy extent.
    {{gwi:215410}}

Here is a close up of the plant from 2011:
    {{gwi:215412}}

The garden contains amended clay. Bottom line is, as with many plants, many factors go into whether it's going to be well behaved or not.

• david883
    11 years ago

Love mine. I can't wait for it to spread a little. I've actually been collecting seeds!

a2zmom - LOVE your garden! Looks very nice!!!

• User
    11 years ago

nope - dying of boredon just contemplating it.

• a2zmom_Z6_NJ
    11 years ago

david883, thanks! It was the very first garden I ever planted so a lot of it was beginner's luck!

• chloeasha
    11 years ago

Aww, I know this is an old thread.. but I love them! I've been trying to find them and everywhere seems to be out for the season, or totally unreasonable. I guess I will have to go without.

• Deb
    11 years ago

I've never been a fan of lamb's ear. But I understand how someone might want the fuzzy texture or whitish color. I prefer Artemisia stelleriana �Silver Brocade� for those qualities. The leaf is beautiful.