Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
sterile foxgloves

Posted by campanula UK Cambridge (My Page) on
Thu, May 2, 13 at 5:09

Anyone growing either the new(ish) digitalis x isoplexis cross or the Polly/Pippa/Princess perennial foxgloves - particularly interested in length of blooming, number of smaller spikes, general health and vigour?
How about the Dalmation series - shorter, perennial foxgloves in cream, purple, white, peach. Are they very similar to the Camelot series?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: sterile foxgloves

Hi Campanula,

I was hoping someone would be able to answer this for you. It seems many of these newer foxgloves are not yet available across the pond. 'Goldcrest' is just starting to show up in nurseries and the few blooms I have seen look charming. I am tempted to try it but I was hoping others would chime in with the experiences with these plants.

o

I had 'Goldcrest' in my garden for several years -- it was okay...

My guess is that we'll start to see the new Digiplexis Illumination plants later this year.

o

I planted "Polkadot Princess" last year. They weren't as tall as Excelsiors, but did put up bloom stalks throughout the summer. All bloom stalks after the initial bloom were much, much shorter.

Most plants made it though the winter, and it looks like each plant now has several new crowns around the base of last year's rosette (which is now dead). At the moment, it looks like they won't be blooming with the rest of the digitalis in the garden, but I'll have to wait until the digitalis are in bloom to be sure of "who's who."

I want to see what they do this year before I form an opinion. My guess is that they'll have a place in my garden, but it won't be the same place that the tall spires of the Excelsiors will. OTOH, I haven't found a spot in my garden where I can consistently grow the Excelsiors, so the vigor of the sterile foxgloves might count for a lot.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here