Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone have Parthenocissus henryana in southern sun?

Posted by davidrt28 7 (My Page) on
Fri, May 16, 14 at 7:20

There's probably a vines forum but I'm sure this one has more traffic.
Years ago I bought a Parthenocissus henryana from Woodlanders. I'm 90% sure that for the first year, the leaves resembled what I expected. Now there's little to suggest it is anything but Parthenocissus quinquifolia. There are many seedlings of the native around. I will always have trouble believing one did a sneaky replacement of the Parthenocissus henryana, but I suppose I might just have not been paying attention. I can more easily believe it was the native all along, sent in error, and I just saw what I wanted to see in the first year.

But I did find a reference somewhere saying that in sun, it can lose the veining. My plant is on a west facing stone wall so it does get fairly hot in summer. So, has anyone else in a sunny warm climate had this problem with it? Or can someone in Southern California say, "yeah, I have it on a south facing wall and it still has the veins". That could confirm beyond a shadow of a doubt that it is the wrong species. BTW if Woodlanders did screw up and send the native, it would be my first issue with one of their plants in over 20 years of ordering from them. Another clue is that several sources say P. henryana has bluish-black or black berries, but I can't find any proper pictures of them. My vine has definitely blue berries, I can't imagine anyone would say there's anything black about them. They are blue with a slight whitish bloom.

Problem currently is it is just too vigorous, I can't justify keeping it especially if it isn't even what I ordered. Debating about a Schizophragma inegrifolium as a replacement, although they are supposedly pretty vigorous too...though I feel like I've seen the more common, hardier "Hydrangea vine", staying relatively confined in some gardens.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone have Parthenocissus henryana in southern sun?

can't answer your question about the Virginia creeper, but I have both schizophragma and Hydrangea petiolaris and they are both aggressive after the first three years. My moomlight is climbing up a tulip poplar and is probably over 100 feet ...

o

Thanks shadeyplace. I was a afraid of that. It seems even harder to win the "please stay a moderate size" battle with a vine that it is with trees. The nature of vines is to just want to "go to town".

o

I have P henryana right up the west-facing back of my 4 storey house. We have to clip it away from the windows and roof at least twice a year. Even in my climate the veining is far more prominent where it goes around a corner onto a N facing extension. This is what the N facing bit looks like. It's about 25 years old.

o

Love the fern on the wall!!!!

o

Thanks, but that's an optical illusion there, shadyplace. The fern is on the ground not on a wall. That's paving going up to the base of the wall. The fern and the Parthenocissus are growing out of a tiny gap between the stones. You can see the situation better in this picture.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here